Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO 4 years 8 months ago #64852

• Will M
  • Will M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I recently became the owner of a Gordons Highlanders sword with fantastic provenance. The plain 1892p blade only has the initials CMW on the blade. The 1857p Scottish field officers sword is made by Pillin and it being serialized could pinpoint the date of manufacture due to existing swords with provenance.
Here is a fairly well known Boer War casualty, Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO. His sword a Gordon Highlanders field officer pattern with plain 34 3/4" blade. This S.J. Pillin sword made in 1898 ( ser # 100619 compared to known dated examples) the same year as his promotion to major in 1898. Fully checkered back strap and pommel.
The guard liner shows its age and previous Blanko. The blade is sharpened and seems to be as heavy and sturdy as the sergts version, a true fighting sword.
All the historical work has been done for me and his name I found mentioned in three period Boer War books I have. The Gordons memorial lists Maj Miller-Wallnutt DSO top left fourth down.

"Major Miller-Wallnutt of the 2nd Battalion was killed at Wagon Hill, Ladysmith on 6th Jan 1900. He was born on 30th Mar 1861 in Edinburgh, educated there, and entered the Argyll and Bute Artillery Militia. On 23rd Apr 1881 he joined the 75th and was promoted to Lieutenant in the Gordon Highlanders on 1st Jul in the same year. He served in the Egyptian and Sudan campaigns, fighting at Tel-el-Kebir, El Teb and Tamai. He was also on the Nile expedition to rescue General Gordon and the storming of the Heights at Malakand and Dargai. He was promoted to major on 18th may 1898.
In South Africa the 2nd Battalion came under siege in Ladysmith. Major Miller-Walnutt commanded a company at the battle of Wagon Hill. He was with Lieut Digby Jones RE when he was shot, some say by the Boer General de Villiers. At the next moment de Villiers was himself shot in the head by a sapper. Claude Charles Miller-Wallnutt was described as 'a man cast in the mould of a Berserk Viking' which conjures up a picture of a fierce and scary highland fighter. His award of the DSO was gazetted on 20th may 1898." From: www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/ ... llnutt.htm
Group photo Miller-Wallnutt DSO is sitting far left.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO 4 years 8 months ago #64853

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Pictures...…

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO 4 years 8 months ago #64856

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Will,

Many thanks for sharing. That is a fantastic item with such provenance.
Dr David Biggins

Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO 4 years 8 months ago #64868

• Will M
  • Will M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I realize now not all the photos took. Try again here. The guard has the Gordon Highlanders badge engraved on it.
How do you post photos without them being an attachment at the bottom but larger photos in the post?
Attachments:

Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO 4 years 8 months ago #64870

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

Major Claude Miller-Wallnutt DSO 4 years 8 months ago #64871

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Here are your Pictures Will..... I wish I could say it was magic but what you do is after you get the pictures ready to post by clicking Add Files you then click insert all..... Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Will M

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.569 seconds