Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Head dress badges of the ABW period 11 years 6 months ago #6228

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Gentlemen.....

The thing that really caught my eye was the lapel pin..... They cannot be to common..... Anyone have a spare for sale.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Head dress badges of the ABW period 11 years 6 months ago #6231

• iaindh
  • iaindh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
Gentlemen,

I haven't seen the lapel badge before so I cant help you Mike but if I see one I'll let you know!
Frank, I dont think you need worry about the thread going off at a tangent; I just thought it was nice to see the Devon flash with the QSM bars :)
I would be interested to see the other flashes you have.
Thanks for the additional explanations on the headdress insignia.
Its an interesting point on the Glosters, as to whether they wore a back badge; I suspect regimental pride would insist on it but which one.....?
With regards to the Devon flash, do you not think it may have been cut out as it makes more sense to have a square cloth badge on a Pagri?

regards, Iain

Re: Head dress badges of the ABW period 11 years 6 months ago #6232

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Iain,
If you look at the impression in your own colour plates you will see a curved example shown, also some regts actually attached them onto a second square or diamond shaped patch, of another colour, which often denoted the coy to which the man belonged.
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Gentlemen,

I haven't seen the lapel badge before so I cant help you Mike but if I see one I'll let you know!
Frank, I dont think you need worry about the thread going off at a tangent; I just thought it was nice to see the Devon flash with the QSM bars :)
Its an interesting point on the Glosters, as to whether they wore a back badge; I suspect regimental pride would insist on it but which one.....?
With regards to the Devon flash, do you not think it may have been cut out as it makes more sense to have a square cloth badge on a Pagri?

regards, Iain

Re: Head dress badges of the ABW period 11 years 6 months ago #6236

• iaindh
  • iaindh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank,

that makes sense, using a second piece of cloth; I just thought it impractical to sew a curved flash onto a helmet pagri.
regards, Iain

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Iain,
If you look at the impression in your own colour plates you will see a curved example shown, also some regts actually attached them onto a second square or diamond shaped patch, of another colour, which often denoted the coy to which the man belonged.
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Gentlemen,

regards, Iain

Re: Head dress badges of the ABW period 11 years 6 months ago #6243

• Frank Kelley
Hello Iain,
I am thinking one of these, the museum has a fine collection of both medals and badges, but, they were not able to confirm for sure that the 1881 pattern blue cloth helmet back badges were actually worn in South Africa with the khaki drill uniform! :(
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Its an interesting point on the Glosters, as to whether they wore a back badge; I suspect regimental pride would insist on it but which one.....?

regards, Iain

Attachments:

Re: Head dress badges of the ABW period 11 years 6 months ago #6258

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Well, you know my thoughts there! :woohoo:

"Nothing will shift these devils, only a bayonet charge, you are good at charging, Devons! and I want you to charge these devils out! and if you do, I will never forget you!"

Ian Hamilton, 6th January 1900, Wagon Hill, Ladysmith.

Brett Hendey wrote: Hi Frank

On seeing that pair of medals, I raised the position of a Devon QSA on my list of "must haves". Strangely, this list never seems to gets any shorter - only the order of the items on it changes.

In addition to thanking you for the reminder about the Devons, my gratitude also for more information on badges of the Boer War.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds