Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Denied the QSA service medal under Article 1256. 9 years 7 months ago #21617

• robd
  • robd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching the 5th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in checking through the medal rolls I noted that a number of men were denied their QSA service medal. Three of the men (Parry, Richards and Steele) I know about and it is likely that the QSA was withheld for inciting mutiny (even though they were released after a few months because the Army had convicted them under the wrong charge). Nevertheless, officially they were denied a medal under Article 1255. I would like to see the wording of Article 1255 which presumably deals with mutiny but as these men were released without serving their sentence which was quashed I would be interested to see how the Army avoided issuing the QSA to them.

Some three others were also denied medals: One was denied under Article 1256 (a) and two under Article 1256 (b).

Now, forgive me for my ignorance but where will I be able to find the wording of all these Articles? I do not have a clue why these fellows were denied their medal award so the reasons given in 1256 (a) or (b) will be most illuminating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Denied the QSA service medal under Article 1256. 9 years 7 months ago #21620

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Sorry, robd, this isn't a direct reply, but I posted a related enquiry yesterday (under 'QSA with clasp Talana') about a man whose KSA was forfeited as he had been sentenced to Penal Servitude. I'd be very interested in replies to both our questions.

Patrick

Denied the QSA service medal under Article 1256. 9 years 7 months ago #21621

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
I am also looking forward to an answer to this question as I have one where he was denied a medal due to desertion but it reinstated when he joined up for WW1......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Denied the QSA service medal under Article 1256. 9 years 7 months ago #21627

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I don't know the answer to this either :(

The Article reference is to the Army Regulations. I have not seen a copy of these and need to keep searching.

Have a look at this page from TNA which list the various collections that may hold information: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/rese...courts-17th-20th.htm
Dr David Biggins

Denied the QSA service medal under Article 1256. 9 years 7 months ago #21629

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Here's an example of the http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G9mgAAAAMAAJ. It shows the scope of the regulations and can be read, in full online.

King Edward VII issued the his own regulations in 1901 (The King's Regulations and Orders for the Army (London: HM Stationery Office, 1901)).

There must have been at least one set of Army Regulations between 1844 and 1901.

The Cardwell Reforms resulted in the Regulation of the Forces Act in 1871. This Act would have required new regulations to align with the many changes made in the Army.
Dr David Biggins

Denied the QSA service medal under Article 1256. 9 years 7 months ago #21631

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
While not containing Regulation 1256, The Manual of Military Law gives useful information:

1st edition, 1884
2nd edition, 1887
3rd edition, 1894
4th edition, 1899
5th edition, 1907 55Mb. 844 pages.

Page 303 lists the scale of Punishments

In the case of soldiers, according to the scale following :
h. Death.
i. Penal servitude for a term not less than three years.
j: Imprisonment, with or without hard labour, for a term not exceeding two years.
k. Detention for a term not exceeding two years.
l. Discharge with ignominy from His Majesty's service.
m. In the case of a non-commissioned officer, forfeiture, in the prescribed manner, of seniority of rank, or reduction to a lower grade, or to the ranks.
n. Forfeitures, fines, and stoppages.

Proviso 11 states:

(11.) In addition to, or without, any other punishment in respect of any offence, an offender convicted by court-martial may be subjected to forfeiture of any deferred pay, service towards pension, military decoration or military reward, in such manner as may for the time being be provided by Royal Warrant, but shall not, save as may be provided by Royal Warrant, be liable to any forfeiture under the Regimental Debts Act, 1893, or under any Act relating to
the military savings banks, or any regulations made in pursuance of either of the above-mentioned Acts.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds