Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 months ago #56306

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
We last saw this pair in July 2014 when it was sold by Spink.

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM Ed VII (5601 Pte. H. Morton. Seaforth Hdrs:);
QSA (5) CC OFS Tr 01 02 (5601 Pte. H. Morton. Sea: Highrs: M.I.) unofficial rivets between state and date clasps, e

DCM London Gazette 26 July 1901.

H. Morton served with the Seaforth Highlanders in South Africa during the Boer War, and was decorated for his gallantry during a 'friendly fire' incident at Houtbosch Loop in June 1901, and was Mentioned in Despatches by Lord Kitchener thus, ‘Private H. Morton (promoted Corporal); on June 14, a company of mounted infantry with which he was, being shelled by our own guns at 2,000 yards, took cover; Morton stayed in the open trying to signal to the guns, though the shells were all around him.’

The original Recommendation for Morton's D.C.M. made by Major T. Macan, Officer Commanding 18th Mounted Infantry gives the following:
‘I have the honour to bring to your notice the conduct of No. 5601 Pte. H. Morton 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders now serving with the 18th Mounted Infantry as a signaller. On the 14th June 1901 the company to which this man belongs was working in the Houtbosch Loop when shell fire was opened upon it by one of the guns belonging to a co-operating column, the company having been mistaken for the enemy; the company managed to get under cover but Private Morton remained in the open at very great personal risk endeavouring to signal to the party who were firing on the company. The distance the gun was firing from was only about 2,000 yards and the range had been correctly estimated as the shells were bursting all round the position. I consider the conduct of Pte. Morton well worthy of recognition.’

Additional remarks supplied by Colonel G.E. Benson state: 'I recommend Private Morton's conduct for consideration. I think that it is probable he may have saved the lives of some of his comrades by this action. The column which opened fire was Colonel Parkes's.'

Brigadier General Spens added: 'Forwarded and recommended that No. 5601 Pte. H. Morton 1/Seaforth Highlanders be awarded a Distinguished Service [as the D.C.M. was sometimes called at the time] Medal for gallant conduct on the 14th June 1901.'
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 months ago #56307

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Trio to BSM W G Phillips, 28th RFA

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM Ed VII (51398 B: Sjt: Maj: W. G. Phillips. 28th. B: R.F.A.);
QSA (5) CC TH OFS RoL Tr (51398 Bty: S-Mjr. W. G. Phillips. 28: B, R.F.A.);
Army LS & GC Ed VII (51398 Bty. Sjt. Mjr. W. G. Phillips. R.F.A.)

DCM London Gazette 27 September 1901

W. G. Phillips served with the 28th Battery, Royal Field Artillery in South Africa during the Boer War, and was Mentioned in Lord Roberts' Despatch (London Gazette 10 September 1901) in addition to being awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Although it is hard to say for certain exactly what action the ‘Mention’ and the D.C.M. were for, it is possible that they were for the action at Vlakfontein on 29 May 1901: ‘Two guns of the 28th were with Dixon when he was attacked at Vlakfontein on 29th May 1901 After the screen was driven in, it was round these two guns, which were captured and then recaptured, by what was perhaps the finest bayonet charge in the war. The fight raged with unsurpassed fierceness. The 28th Battery R.F.A. had about 5 men killed and 12 wounded. Several mentions were gained on this occasion.’
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 months ago #56311

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Nobles Numismatics Sale 116 to be held on the 21-24 Nov 2017 has lot 5177 which is an Ed VII DCM and 3 clasp QSA to 76 Pte H.W.Brown South Australian Mounted Rifles. It has some detail of the award with it-the pair has been sold at least 2 at Auction in the last 30 years in Australia. Perhaps somebody with better computer skills than mine could post a picture from the sale.

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 months ago #56315

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

Georgegt351 wrote: Nobles Numismatics Sale 116 to be held on the 21-24 Nov 2017 has lot 5177 which is an Ed VII DCM and 3 clasp QSA to 76 Pte H.W.Brown South Australian Mounted Rifles. It has some detail of the award with it-the pair has been sold at least 2 at Auction in the last 30 years in Australia. Perhaps somebody with better computer skills than mine could post a picture from the sale.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 months ago #56514

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

MC GV
DCM VR (2689 Serjt. S. Downing, 1st Devon Regt.);
IGS 1854 (1) Burma 1889- 92 (2689 Pte. S. Downing, 2d Bn. Devon Regt.);
IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (2629 Lee. Sergt. S. Downing, 1st Bn. Devon Regt.), note number;
QSA (3) Eland DoL Belf (2689 Sgt. S. Downing, Devon Regt.);
KSA (2) (2689 Serjt. S. Downing, Devon Regt.);
1914 Star (Hon. Lieut. & Q.M. S. Downing, Devon Regt.);
British War and Victory Medals, M.I.D. oak leaf (Q.M. & Major S.Downing);
Coronation 1911;
Army LS & GC Ed VII (2689 C. Sjt. S. Downing, Devon Regt.)

MC London Gazette 1 January 1918.
DCM London Gazette 27 September 1901.

Sidney Downing was born in 1870, the son of R. W. Downing, formerly schoolmaster, Royal Marines, and enlisted in the Devonshire Regiment in 1889. Embarked for India, he quickly saw active service in Burma in 1891 (Medal & clasp), and on the North-West Frontier with the Tirah Field Force (Medal & 2 clasps).

It was, however, for his gallant service in the Boer War that he won his D.C.M. That distinction likely stemmed from his part in the famous bayonet charge of the 1st Devons at Wagon Hill during the defence of Ladysmith:

‘January 6th was to become a famous day in the Battalion’s history. On that day the Boers launched a determined attack on the two tactical vantage points at Caesar’s Camp and Wagon Hill, a flat- topped hill running east and west on the south side of the township. The Boers had crept up at first light, reaching the edge of the crest. Heavy fighting ensued with losses on both sides. At 4 p.m. Lieutenant-Colonel Park, commanding the 1st Devons, received orders to take his three remaining companies to the assistance of Colonel Ian Hamilton who was struggling to hold his position on Wagon Hill. The Devons were on the move within 10 minutes and reached Wagon Hill in a thunder storm at around 5 p.m. Here they learnt that around 50 Boers were holding a small ridge about 100 yards directly in front of the British line. They were expert shots and were forcing Hamilton’s men to remain under cover. Hamilton and Park agreed that the only way to dislodge them was by bayonet. “Can you do it?” Hamilton reputedly asked Park. “We will try” was the reply. The men of the 1st Battalion fixed their bayonets and charged, cheering and shouting. Drummer Bouldon wrote: “... with dear old Captain Lafone leading on in front we charged up over the hill and the Boers were only 15 yards away from us and I sounded the charge with another drummer and then we joined the charge, I was nearly mad, in fact all of us was.”

The terrain was flat grassland with no cover. The Boers fired again and again, many Devons were hit but they were not deterred. When they reached within 15 yards of the Boers, the Boers turned and ran. However the battle was not over as the Battalion was exposed to cross fire on both sides. Colonel Lafone said he wished someone would tell the Imperial Light Horse, holding a ridge behind the Devons, to fire at the Boers on their left front. Lieutenant Masterson heard him and without further ado ran back across the open ground, dodging a hail of bullets, to pass the message on to the Imperial Light Horse. He was hit 10 times, with some bullets going through both legs, but delivered the message before collapsing. His gallantry earned him the Victoria Cross. Colour-Sergeant Palmer was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for the same battle although he claimed to be only doing his “simple duty”.

By 5.40 p.m. the battle was still under way. Colonel Lafone was dead, “he got a bullet right through his brains” (Boulden) along with fellow officers Walker and Field. 52 other ranks were killed or wounded. Lafone’s death affected the Battalion greatly. Park wrote: “I cannot at all get over Lafone’s death. He was a bright, clever, witty fellow, the most popular man possible with everyone. A success bought for the price of his life is a very dearly bought one for us.”

Despite this and despite the torrential rain and hail the Devons hung on. Finally, when darkness fell, the Boers retreated. The Devons were victorious. When they returned to Ladysmith, Boulden reported that “all the civilians came out and meet us and gave us a nice hot cup of tea and patted us on the back and said my dear, brave men.” A telegram came from General Buller reading “Congratulations to your whole force on your brilliant defence, especially to the Devon Regiment”; another from Queen Victoria said, “Greatly admire conduct of Devonshire Regiment.” The website of the The Keep Military Museum (Devons & Dorsets), refers.

In addition to his award of the D.C.M., Downing was mentioned in despatches by Lord Roberts (.London Gazette 10 September 1901, refers).
The Great War

Downing became a Warrant Officer in 1911 and was serving as Regimental Sergeant-Major at the outbreak of hostilities in August 1914. Quickly embarked for France, he served with distinction in the 1st Battalion, and was present at the bathes of La Bassee (1914), ‘Hill 60’, Ypres (1915-17), St. Julien, the Somme (1916 and 1918), Morval, Arras (1917-18), Vimy (1917), Passchendaele, Lys, Selle and the Sambre. He also served on the Italian front.
The only respite he had from this protracted period of active service was in 1915, when he wounded near Hill 60 at Ypres by the detonation of an enemy mine, ‘but this only kept him from duty under two months.’ He was awarded a well-merited M.C. and thrice mentioned in despatches (London Gazettes 30 November 1915, 19 April 1917 and 16 March 1919, refer).

Downing died in April 1925, aged 55, whilst serving as a Captain at Aldershot. A local newspaper obituary - original cutting included - states:
‘Through the death of Captain S. Downing, M.C., D.C.M., the Devonshire Regiment has lost the last serving member who survived the historic battle of Wagon Hill. The deceased officer did splendid service in the way he always looked after the Battalion’s needs both in war and peace. He was always cheerful, always trying to do something for someone, always thinking of the Devons and duty. He gained eleven medals in the Eleventh Regiment of Foot, which he served so well for no less than 36 years.’
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 months ago #56541

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Liverpool Medals

DCM VR (4909 Private W. Delooze, Grenadier Guards.)
QSA (4) Belm MR Drie Tr (4909 Private W. Delooze, Grenadier Guards.)
KSA (2) (4909 Corpl W. Delooze, Grenadier Guards.)

Mentioned in Despatches by Lord Roberts on 10th September 1901, with his Distinguished Conduct Medal being announced in the London Gazette on 27th September 1901, it appears to be awarded for his Gallantry in either Belmont or Modder River, he was also promoted to Lance Corporal in March 1900, and served as Corporal for the remainder of the war, which also points to his gallant service in the early battles of the war.

Walter Delooze was born in Winchester Hampshire during 1877, his family moved to Broughton, Salford and at the age of 18 and having worked as a groom he joined the Grenadier Guards at Manchester on 2nd July 1894.

He joined the 3rd Battalion and served in Gibraltar from 23rd September 1899 until 25th October 1899 when the battalion was called to action, landing officially in the Cape on 15th November.

Assembled with the 1st & 2nd Coldstream Guards and 1st Bn Scots Guards they were the 1st Guards Brigade.

A week into the campaign they took part in their first battle, the night attack on Belmont, the Guards attacking ‘Gun Hill’.
Under command of Lord Methuen, they were sent to attack on the night of 22nd November 1899, Colville ordered his men to attack Gun Hill.
He later stated that “They were guided by my Brigade Major, Capt Ruggles-Brise, who led them to the exact spot” he later admitted that he had miscalculated the distance and that the CO, Lt Col Crabbe of the 3rd Bn Gren Gds had attacked the wrong hill, Crabbe was wounded in action and the attack was led by Major Kinloch, the hill was infact the objective of the Coldstream Guards, and it was blamed on faulty maps.

They fought with great bravery and suffered for it, during the attack they lost 2 officers and 23 men KIA, with 7 officers and 97 men wounded, these losses represented half of the total force deployed in the battle.

With only a week of rest they were back in action at Modder River on 28th November 1899.

It was another bloody battle, the Gren Guards had to attack the Boers who were entrenched on either side of the Modder River at the confluence of the Reit and Modder where a railway bridge remained undamaged. The Gren Guards were ordered to a frontal attack, whilst the Scots Guards came in the right flank of the Boers.

It was a familiar situation, being picked off by Boer rifle fire, a Gren Gds officer later wrote “We had no cover except little scrub bushes about 6 inches high, and the ground sloping gently down to the Boers form about 2000 yards. I don’t suppose troops have ever been in a more damnable position. I sat up occasionally to see how things were going, but only a moment, as it was always the signal for a perfect storm of bullets. My ammunition-bearer had his head blown to bits by a 1lb shell from a 37mm maxim, a most damnable gun.

I happened to be in the line of it just before dark, and they pumped 6 rounds at me. the first 4 pitched in a line about 20, 10, 15 and the fourth 4 yards in front of me, and threw dirt all over me, and the next two just pitched behind me. I didn’t like it a bit... it was the worst i have ever spent in my life. Twelve hours under constant and heavy fire of Maxims, 12 pounders, and other quick firing guns and rifles, a hot sun, no cover, no water, and no food is more than enough for yours truly... The guns (Royal Artillery 18th, 75th and 62nd Batteries) yesterday fought magnificently, and I believe fired more rounds per gun than have ever been fired in a battle before... We had a lovely wash this morning. I washed shirt and drawers, besides myself, I wanted it. My clothes have not been off since we left the Orange River on November 21.”

The total casualties to the Gren Gds were 3 officers wounded, 12 men killed and 50 wounded. The whole division suffered 68 men killed, 3 officers killed, 16 Officers and 368 men wounded.

He was shortly after appointed as Lance Corporal on 3rd March 1900, later reverting to Private after peace was announced in May 1902. He returned home on 22nd July 1902, marrying his wife Elizabeth Sewell in Chertsey in 1904, being discharged having completed his 12 years on 1st July 1906.

He was later a Electric Brougham Driver in 1911 and had two daughters, he didn’t take part in the First World War and died in Greenwich in 1936, at the age of 59.

£2,495.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.017 seconds