TOPIC:

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 2 months ago #57318

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Henk,

I know what you mean. I think we would all like a return to earlier prices.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 1 month ago #57899

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From GB Military Antiques, July 2003

DCM Ed VII (Pte A Harris, Northumberland Fusiliers)
Sudan (Pte 1 North'd Fus)
QSA (4) Belm MR OFS Tr (Cpl North'd Fus)
KSA (2) (Cpl North'd Fus)
BWM (Pte 20 Can Inf)
Khedive Sudan (1) Khartoum (Pte North'd Fus)

MID 4 Sep 1901. DCM LG 23 Nov 1899 for saving a maxim gun at Belmont, Harris was wounded in 1916 when he was shot in the bottom. £4,250.

It is listed as a group of 7 but only 6 medals are identified. Perhaps the VM has not been listed?
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 1 month ago #57905

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Bostock had this listed in 2007 with the VM.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 1 month ago #57915

• Bayliss
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5

Perhaps I should include my great grandfather's DCM here too for completeness though it duplicates a post I made in introductions some 5 years ago Col Sergt Bertie Bayliss DCM . Looking at that I can however provide a better picture of the medal clasps and now one of the man himself. Dad found it in the roofspace last week during a tidy, he had forgotten about it having brought it back to Belfast after clearing his uncles house in the 70's. I never knew there was one, had rummaged for other old photos up there before &. I'd even tried the Royal Warwick's Museum few years back, their computer said they might have one but couldn't find in the store/archive.

Bertie Bayliss was born in the small village of Hunningham, Warwickshire, near Leamington Spa 27 Jun 1873 and the Register of Soldiers Effects shows he Enlisted 6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment 18 Apr 1894, with occupation Groom (aged nearly 21).
#4211 Corporal Bertie Bayliss served with the 1st Royal Warwicks in Sudan earning the Khartoum clasp, with the medal roll being annotated Invalided (according to the London Gazette of 30 Sep 1898 he was not however one of those wounded at Khartoum). Bertie was initially in South Africa with the 2nd Royal Warwicks as Sergeant per QSA roll, but stayed on after most departed, now Colour Sergeant with the 4th Battalion Mounted Infantry Royal Warwickshire Regiment. QSA clasps Belfast, Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Dreifontein, Cape Colony & KSA 1901 & 1902. The Mounted Infantry of the 2nd Battalion were detached from Jan 1900 and the 3rd & 4th Battalions also sent Companies

He was Mentioned in Dispatches by Earl Roberts Sep 4th 1901 and the DCM was Gazetted 27th Sep 1901. It was presented to him at Budbrook Barracks, Warwick 8 Feb 1903 by Colonel Quale Jones. There is no mention in The Story of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment by Charles Lethbridge Kingsford, 1921 nor in The Antelope regimental magazine of what it was for ( the posts in The Antelope for the 1900-1910 period are rather haphazard & delayed being written by the 1st Battalion in India).

On return from South Africa he lived in the Aston area of Birmingham 1903-1906, marrying Birmingham Jan 1904 and having a son, my grandfather Mar 1905. I'm guessing based at the Territorial Barracks at Aston right beside the football ground as his addresses were only a few streets away Aston map . There is reference to him being recruiting staff and being posted back to Depot on the disbanding of the 3rd Royal Garrison Regiment 1906 [ref. The Antelope]. He re-joined the 2nd Warwick Battalion, who had been stationed at The Verne, Portland, Dorset from 23rd Sep 1904 and Frank his 2nd son was baptised St Peter's, Grove, Portland 8 Oct 1906 by the Army Chaplin. This was only a few days before the 2nd Battalion moved to Bordon Camp, Hampshire (12 Oct 1906) where they were stationed at St Lucia Barracks. Bertie, Colour Sergeant 2nd Royal Warwick Regiment of Bordon Camp, died 10 Jan 1907 at Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot of a Cerebral Haemorrhage and had a military funeral.

He is buried in Aldershot Military Cemetery Col Sergt Bertie Bayliss gravestone and Col Sergt Bertie Bayliss TWGPP
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Charl

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 weeks ago #58072

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Many thanks Bayliss for your very informative post.
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 6 years 4 weeks ago #58073

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Not sure I have every seen a QSA mounted quite like this one.

Picture courtesy of DNW

DCM VR (2835 S. Sergt:-Maj: W. Brown. 1st Dragoons);
QSA (6) TH OFS RoL Tr LN CC (2835 Sq. Sjt. Majr. W. Brown. 1/Drgns.) clasps mounted in this order, unofficial rivets between 4th and 5th, and 5th and 6th clasps. QSA partially officially corrected
KSA (2) (2835 Sq. Serjt:-Maj: W. Brown. Rl: Dragoons.);
Army LS&GC Ed VII (2835 Sq. Sjt: Maj: W. Brown. 1st Dragoons)

Provenance: J. B. Hayward, May 1979.

DCM London Gazette 31 October 1902.

Wilkinson Brown attested for the 1st (Royal) Dragoons at Lincoln, in January 1887, and served with the Regiment during the Second Boer War.

1 of 5 D.C.M.s awarded to the Regiment for the Second Boer War.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.753 seconds