Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 7 months ago #48456

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
As this post is the most Boer War DCM's I have ever seen I thought I would be able to make a definitive statement on the change over from Trophy of Arms to Edward V11 obverses. But no -looking at the Gazettal dates there appears to be a mix as late as September 1901- they must have had considerable stock of Trophy of Arms DCM's at the Mint or where ever they were held when the war started.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 7 months ago #48466

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
George,

From the DSOs issued for the Boer War, it would seem there were many VRI cypher DSOs left over when Queen Victoria died and these were issued into the first part of Edward's reign. It appears it was a similar cased with the DCMs.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 7 months ago #48468

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I can't help with the date, but as David said I think there was no date as such, they just used up old stock.

On this site somewhere I started a thread looking at the South African unit issues, and it was about 40ish percent Victorian to 60% Edward I think.

For British units it was about 50/50, based on an article a few years ago in the OMRS Journal.

Ryan

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 7 months ago #48505

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519

Picture courtesy of British Medals

DSO GV
MC GV
DCM VR USerjt. C.I.V.)
QSA (5) CC Paard Drie Joh DH (328 C. Sgt. S.G.L. Bradley. C.I.V.)
1914 Star, with Bar (2.Lieut. D.C.M. 16-Lond.R.)
BWM and Victory MID (Lt. Col.)

Lieutenant-Colonel S.G.L. Bradley, 16th Battalion London Regiment, Late Colour-Sergeant, City of London Imperial Volunteers

DSO London Gazette 1.1.1918 Capt. (T./Lt. Col.) Samuel Glenholme Lennox Bradley, M.C., Lond. R.

MC London Gazette 3.6.1916 Lt. (temp. Maj.) Samuel Glenholme Lennox Bradley, 16th Bn., Lond. R., T.F.

DCM London Gazette 27.9.1901 Sergeant S.G.L. Bradley, City of London Imperial Volunteers.

Lieutenant-Colonel Samuel Glenholme Lennox Bradley, D.S.O., M.C., D.C.M., born 1869, served with the City of London Imperial Volunteers in South Africa (Mentioned in Despatches London Gazette 10.9.1901; and promoted Colour Sergeant); Commissioned Second Lieutenant, 13th Middlesex (Queen´s Westminster) Rifles, Volunteer Corps, 13/11/1901, held commission in the mounted infantry company of the Regiment until disbanded on the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908. On the outbreak of the Great War he was re-Commissioned Second Lieutenant, 16th Battalion (Queen´s Westminster Rifles) London Regiment, and served with the Regiment on the Western Front from 1/11/1914; Lieutenant, 2/4/1915; wounded 27/10/1915 and thereafter served as Staff Captain, 18th Infantry Brigade, 6th Division, October 1915 - May 1916; D.A.Q.M.G., 6th Division, May 1916 - March 1917; General Head Quarters, France, March 1917 - February 1919 (Five times Mentioned in Despatches, L.G. 1/1/1916, 15/6/1916, 15/5/1917, 11/12/1917, and 20/12/1918; and promoted Brevet Major); transferred to the Territorial Force Reserve, with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, 7.2.1919, and was appointed Commanding Officer, 16th (Territorial) Battalion, London Regiment; retired, 20/9/1921.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 6 months ago #48855

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi everybody
The June 2003 issue of the OMRS Journal carried an article "Dated Distinguished Conduct Medals" by John D O'Malley. He listed 11 recipients of dated 2nd Boer War DCM's, including Adams.
Another of the 11 is Pte G Livingston of the Connaught Rangers. I disposed of his QSA and dated DCM in 1992 as part of a complicated 3-party exchange and I have been looking for another dated example ever since!!
I was therefor very, very pleased when my bid at DNW was successful for the dated DCM to Pte W T Adams, Rifle Brigade, that was illustrated in this thread some three weeks ago. Now I just have to find his QSA.
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

DCMs for the Boer War 7 years 6 months ago #48856

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Sorry !! I missed this last month.
I meant to point out that the Battle of Magersfontein took place 11 days after the end of November 1899.
Henk

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds