TOPIC:

Medals to the RAMC 1 year 7 months ago #86087

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4557

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (2) Transvaal, South Africa 1902 (15720 Pte L. P. Thatcher. R.A.M.C.) attempt to obliterate part of surname;
BWM 1914-20 (525172 A. Sjt. L. P. Thatcher. C.A.M.C.)

Louis Percy Thatcher was born in Kennington, Surrey in May 1878. He served for 5 and half years with the Royal Army Medical Corps prior to moving to Canada. Thatcher was employed as a nurse, and resided at the Strathcona Hotel, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. He served during the Great War as a Sergeant with the Canadian Army Medical Corps in the UK.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the RAMC 1 year 6 months ago #86936

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Woolley and Wallis

QSA (1) Cape Colony (11594 PTE C. RYAN, R.A.M.C);
KSA (2) (11594 PTE C. RYAN. R.A.M.C.);
1914 Star and clasp (11594 CPL C. RYAN. R.A.M.C.);
British War Medal 1914-20 and Victory Medal with MID (11594 T.W.O. CL.1. C. RYAN. R.A.M.C.);
Defence Meda;
Army LS&GC GV (11594 SJT: C. RYAN. R.A.M.C.);
MSM GV (11594 W.O. CL. 2. C. RYAN. R.A.M.C.)

MID London Gazette: 30/12/1918 (France). M.S.M. (Annuity) gazetted 1953.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the RAMC 1 year 6 months ago #87009

• Nikonitis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I have been researching my Great Grandfather's early life and came across this forum post and wonder if you, or some of your fellow forum members, might be able to help me. The only record I have of Lance Sergeant W H Turner's military service, is his demobbing paper from Woolwich Barracks in 1901. I am struggling to find any info on what he did during his 10 years in the RAMC. I basically don't know where to look. I have the seen the posts here, which you have contributed to, referencing some of his movements, but don't know where this information comes from. I followed the instructions to the QSA and found a reference that may be him but it's not totally certain and it only gives a name, nothing else, so not really that helpful. Any advice would be really appreciated

Medals to the RAMC 1 year 3 months ago #88326

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

DCM GV (7323 C.S. Mjr: C. E. Stovin. 1/R. Ir: Rif:);
QSA (3) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal (11735 Pte. C. E. Stovin, R.A.M.C.);
KSA (2) (11735 Pte. C. E. Stovin. R.A.M.C.);
1914 Star, with clasp (7323 Sjt. C. E. Stovin. 1/R. Ir: Rif.);
BWM and VM with MID oak leaves (Capt. C. E. Stovin.)

Together with related group of six miniature dress medals

DCM LG 1 January 1917; citation published 13 February 1917: ‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout, and has at all times set a splendid example.’

MID LG 22 June 1915 (Field-Marshal Sir John French’s despatch of 5 April 1915).

Charles Ernest Stovin served with the Royal Army Medical Corps in South Africa during the Second Boer War. He served in France as a Sergeant in the 1st Battalion, Royal Iris Rifles from 6 November 1914, being mentioned in despatches and awarded the DCM, before being commissioned into the 12th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment on 30 July 1917.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the RAMC 1 year 3 months ago #88572

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, South Africa 1901, unofficial rivets between state and date clasps (Major J. H. Greenway. R.A.M.C.) engraved naming

John Henry Greenway trained at Guy’s Hospital and joined the Army Medical Service in August 1885. He was advanced major, Royal Army Medical Corps, on 30 May 1897 and served for six years in India and eight years in South Africa. At the outbreak of the Boer War he was attached to the Berkshire Regiment at Naaupoort, and then went to the Orange River in charged of a field hospital under Lord Methuen. In the fighting march to Bloemfontein he was in command of the 19th Brigade Bearer Company with Smith-Dorrien’s Column, and was thus present at the engagements at Jacobadal, Paardeberg, and Driefontein. Arriving at Bloemfontien, he was placed in charge of the Convent Hospital, and remained in this position until invalided home in 1901.

He was sent out to South Africa at the beginning of 1904, and died in the military hospital at Wynberg, on 8 August 1904.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the RAMC 1 year 1 month ago #89131

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

Sudan (Lt. R. F. Jephson. R.A.M.C.);
QSA (6) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing's Nek (Capt. R. D. Jephson. R.A.M.C.);
KSA (2) (Capt. R. D. Jephson. R.A.M.C.), suspension repaired;
Khedive’s Sudan (1) Khartoum (Lieut. Jephson. R.A.M.C. 1898.), engraved naming

Robert Dalkeith Jephson was born at Kingston, Dublin on 19 July 1871 and was commissioned into the Royal Army Medical Corps on 28 July 1897. He served on the Nile in the Sudan in 1898 (Queen's Medal, Khedive's Medal & clasp) and was thence promoted Captain on 28 July 1900, serving during the Boer War with the 9th Field Hospital (Queen's Medal & 6 clasps, King's Medal & 2 clasps). Jephson died at Rawalpindi on 9 January 1904 after having gone out hunting with two of his dogs earlier that day. He was found to be shot through the head and died before he could be taken to hospital, having arrived the previous day after marching up with an Artillery Battery from Umballa.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.527 seconds