Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Police 4 years 5 months ago #66573

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
QSA (3) CC Natal SA01 (Tpr A E Gayer, Natal Police)

Also served with KFS. CC deleted of the KFS roll but the medal noted as being as issued. SA01 loose.

Langridge, February 1976 £45
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Police 4 years 1 week ago #68363

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (4) Natal, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 (2024 Tpr: F.L.Wilkinson. Natal Police);
Natal Medal 1906 (1) 1906 (2C, Sgt: F.L.Wilkinson, Natal Police);
Permanent Forces of the Empire Beyond the Seas LS&GC (GV) (No 1125 2nd Cl. Sgt. F.L.Wilkinson. 3rd S.A.M.R.)

Sergeant Wilkinson was a prominent figure in the 1906 campaign that followed the assassination of Natal Police Inspector Hunt by a lawless Zulu group in the Bambata Rebellion. He led a small party which captured Hunt's assassins and recovered his revolver and other property. Following this, Wilkinson was subjected to several unsuccessful assassination attempts.

Sergeant Wilkinson's son, 5544 Sergeant Kenneth Thomas Wilkinson serving with Umvoti Mounted Rifles in World War II, was taken POW at Tobruk on 20 June 1942. Along with another South African POW he escaped and was recaptured on 2 occasions before a final successful escape from a camp in Perugia wearing German uniforms and accompanied by three German deserters. He was awarded a MID for his escape.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Natal Police 3 years 11 months ago #68668

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next Spink sale:

QSA (3) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Laing's Nek (2333 Tpr: T. Haier. Natal Police);
1914-15 Star (Const. T. Haier 4th. S.A.M.R.);
British War and bilingual Victory Medals (Const. T. Haier. 4th S.A.M.R.).

Thomas Haier attested for the 4th South African Mounted Rifles on 6 August 1914 and was posted to 'A' Squadron shortly thereafter. Thrice fined for being in possession of a dirty pistol and being absent from station, he was admitted to Wynberg Hospital in April 1915 suffering from boils and an abrasion to the forearm; sold with copied service record which notes his next of kin as 'Mr. Haier, Kilbaka, Carriga Holt, County Clare, Ireland.'
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Police 3 years 9 months ago #69630

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi, I consider myself fortunate to have added Sgt Wilkinson's medals to my collection in the Noble's auction. (Even though I suspect it may be short his WW I trio with his service in the 3 SAMR, but this still needs to be confirmed)

I have started researching the story for Sgt Frederick Lawson Wilkinson after the medals arrived, following a rather nervous wait with the C-19 lockdown getting into full swing. Clearly there is more to do in building his story, but some of the following information, thanks in part to the Talana Museum and this Forum, has been coming out:

He was born in 1880 in the small town of Estcourt. He enlisted in the Natal Mounted Police (Zululand Division) in November 1897, as a Trooper and mobilized in September 1899, participating in various operations in Natal and the Transvaal.
During the course of the research, I have received information that he was part of the "Mahlabatini-19", that defended the magistracy against superior Boer numbers. I have read a number of accounts e.g. Holt's chapter on the battle and an excellent article by Rory, that included a photo of the survivors from Mahlabatini, sourced from an old Nonqai magazine. Unfortunately the photo does not have the names of the NP members included, to confirm if he was there. I have been unable to find a list of all the participants (although there is a casualty list) of this battle and any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated from the Forum?

He was released from active duties in the Boer War on the 31 May 1902 and returned to Police Duties.

As indicated in the write up by Noble's, he played an active part in the 1906 Rebellion as a 2nd Class Sergeant, arresting five suspects for the murder of Inspector Hunt, after finding them hiding in cliffs near Umlaas River and having to approach in a very exposed area. From a number of sources, he was also investigating the murder of the Magistrate for Mahlabatini, Herbet Munro Stainbank, that occurred on 4 May 1906 and that of Chief Sitshitshili. The latter case resulting in one, of a number of attempts on Sgt Wilkinson's life during these years. The Source, "The Zulu Rebellion", pg431 describes the events as follows: "To show the people that the Government was alive to the necessity of preventing such crimes...………..Everything that skill and perseverance could accomplish was attempted...…….Sergeant Wilkinson, the officer who was in charge of the investigations, retired to his room about midnight on the 8th of Sept. Barely a minute after blowing out his light, two shots were fired at him through a hole in a window pane with a revolver. One struck about eight inches above, and the other under, the bed."

I am sure that I still have a lot to unearth on his story, and any assistance, such as the above question would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Gavin
Regards

Gavin

Medals to the Natal Police 3 years 9 months ago #69631

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Nice medals Gavin, and the beginning of a great story to go with them.
All the best with your research.
Jim

Medals to the Natal Police 3 years 9 months ago #69632

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello Gavin

The photo you refer to - Wilkinson is the 2nd man from the right - back row

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds