Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

From the 11th Ft in Afghanistan to the C.M.R. in the Boer War - F.W. Harris 6 years 3 months ago #56858

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2141
Frederick William Harris

Sergeant, 11th Regiment of Foot (North Devons) – 2nd Afghan War and
Sergeant, 2nd Class, Cape Mounted Rifles - Anglo Boer War.

- Afghanistan Medal (no clasp) to 308 Sergt. F. Harris, 2/11th Regt.
- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Cape Colony to 1530 Sergt. F.W. Harris, Cape M.R.

Frederick William Harris was born in Stoke Damerel in the Sub - District of Tamar in the County of Devon, England on 20 March 1857, the son of William Logan Harris and Mary Jane Harris, born Widger.

At the time of the 1861 census (31 March 1861) the family were resident at Stoke Damerel. Harris senior was a Shipwright with Her Majesty’s Dockyards by trade whilst Frederick was a four year old school boy.

A decade later, at the time of the 1871 census Harris was living with his mother at the residence of his grandparents, William and Mary Harris, in Stoke Damerel of his father there was no sign.

Harris shortly before his death. The older boy in the photo is a White, a relative.

Options for the youth in Victorian times were limited and depended largely on the means the family had at their disposal. Many, if not of the monied classes, found that taking the “King’s shilling” and joining the army was a way out and an avenue that provided them with some form of security. Thus it was that Fred Harris took the decision to join the military. This led to his attesting for service with the colours with the 2nd Battalion, 11th Regiment of Foot (the North Devons). This regiment fought in the second Afghan War of 1878/9/80 with Harris reaching the rank of Sergeant serving with number 308.

The 11th didn't have what you might call a 'distinguished service' or cover themselves in glory from a fighting point of view. They sailed from England aboard the Serapis on 9th Feb 1877 and disembarked at Bombay on 13 March. Before being ordered to the Afghan border in July 1880, the regiment was at Karachi and Hyderabad.

On 23 July 1880 the 2/11th Regiment was enroute to Dozan under the command of Lt. Colonel W.T. Corrie, because they were not near line of communication they did not hear the terrible news of the defeat of General Burrows and his army at Maiwand. They moved on hurriedly to a place called Gulistan Karez (they wouldn’t reach Kandahar until 3 weeks after its relief by General Roberts on 31 August).

On 29 July 1880 they were in the Bolan Pass enroute to Quetta where they experienced one of the toughest marches of the campaign through the Sind and the Bolan in some of the hottest temperatures. They were drawn by bullock-cart through heavy sands, but the bullocks were too slow in the sun so the men had to get off and walk to reach the shade and water as soon as they could.

By 24th August 1880, one wing was at Gulistan Karez, and the other was at Quetta. On 30 August 1880 General Phayre began his advance through Khojak Pass but realising that General Roberts was already almost at Kandahar, Phayre found it appropriate to slow his advance and reduce his own force in order to compensate for the lack of supplies on his own route and in the vicinity of Kandahar. The only purpose now to be served was to advance sufficient troops to secure the supply route into the city. On the 6th September 1880 Phayre finally arrived at Kandahar by which time Roberts had dispersed Ayub Khan’s army.

The 2/11th Regiment had a rough time of it. Their mortality was greater than is often the case with a regiment in the fiercest action. They lost two officers and a hundred and thirty-six men, while so severely had the climate and illness affected them that out of 715 that had marched six months before, only 215 were fit for service.

Harris left the Regiment at the age of 24, time expired, on 10 November 1881. He was issued with the Afghan medal with no clasp for his efforts.

Having returned to England prior to his discharge Harris, at some point, made the decision to emigrate to South Africa where he met, and afterwards married, Mary Jenkins White of St. John’s River, Pondoland West on 10 May 1894 at the Wesleyan Church in Grahamstown. Rev Henry Cotton officiated. One of the witnesses to the ceremony was a Captain F.A. Saunders. Harris’ profession, as stated on the Marriage Certificate, was Drill Instructor with the 1st City Volunteers, a Grahamstown based infantry regiment.

With war clouds gathering Harris enrolled for service with the Cape Mounted Rifles on 5 June 1899 with the rank of Sergeant 2nd Class and the number 1530. By this time he was 42 years of age. His physical description on attestation had him with blue eyes, brown hair, a fair complexion and a height of 5 feet 71/2 inches. He was described as having no trade – the role of a Drill Instructor perhaps being difficult to define.

Harris’ war was destined to be short – lived. On 7 September 1900 he passed away, in service, of what was suspected to be flu at his residence in Hill Street, Grahamstown and is interred in the Wesleyan cemetery there. He was attached to the Headquarters Company of the C.M.R. at the time and is remembered on the Memorial to the fallen men of the Cape Mounted Rifles in the Boer War outside the Town Hall in Kokstad, East Griqualand. His daughter Mary’s baptism had taken place in Grahamstown the day before and, perhaps, this final exertion was too much for him.

In recognition of his service Harris was awarded, posthumously, the Queen’s South Africa medal with Cape Colony clasp. A letter in my possession, dated 13 December 1901 and signed by Geo. Marshall, Major, and O.C. of the 1st City Volunteers states as follows:

“This is to certify that the Late Sergt. F.W. Harris C.M.R. served as Drill Instructor and Orderly Room Clerk to the 1st City (Grahamstown) Volunteers) from the 15th January 1894 to the time of his death viz. 7th September 1900.”

Harris’ death notice in the Cape Archives has him as Sergeant Major of the C.M.R. He was survived by his wife and three children, all minors - Amy Dorothy Harris, Frederick Norman Harris and Mary Frieda Harris

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Georgegt351

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From the 11th Ft in Afghanistan to the C.M.R. in the Boer War - F.W. Harris 6 years 3 months ago #56859

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Thank You Rory for the great read and research.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

From the 11th Ft in Afghanistan to the C.M.R. in the Boer War - F.W. Harris 6 years 3 months ago #56865

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
A super combination, I've recorded 42 Afghan/QSA combinations.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

From the 11th Ft in Afghanistan to the C.M.R. in the Boer War - F.W. Harris 6 years 3 months ago #56867

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I love that type of combination where the medals show how someone becomes a South African over time.

Very nice Rory!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

From the 11th Ft in Afghanistan to the C.M.R. in the Boer War - F.W. Harris 6 years 3 months ago #56868

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2141
Not quite the same thing I know but on its way to me is an IGS 1854 with Perak clasp to a Domestic aboard HMS Philomel who settled in Simonstown and was the Steward at the Royal Naval Club there.

Just unusual to find that sort of medal to a chap who made South Africa his home.

Regards

Rory

From the 11th Ft in Afghanistan to the C.M.R. in the Boer War - F.W. Harris 5 years 8 months ago #59990

• CD121263
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Rory, I have a question about the 'White' boy in the photo, which the caption claims to be a relative. I also note the photo in your post was taken in Grahamstown, South Africa.
Take a look at this photo (also taken in Grahamstown, South Africa) and tell me it's not the same boy.
This is my grandfather Herbert Harcourt Harris. I'm wondering if there's something to this 'relative'. Possibly a son from a previous marriage?
I hope to hear back from you soon. Please contact me at cindyloudale (at) outlook dot com
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds