Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 3 months ago #67261

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi

Here is the memorial at Petersburg old cemetery, for Cashman and Chatcuff.

Regards
Adrian

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 3 months ago #67292

• rchatcuff
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Adrian and Linneyl. Thank you both very sincerely. I will order Steinaecker's Horsemen forthwith. NOK Brooklyn, NY confirms that he is the younger brother of my grandfather who one day mysteriously left home without a word. I don't know if our family ever knew what became of him. Perhaps some day I can visit his gravesite. Best wishes and holiday greetings. Richard Chatcuff.

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 3 months ago #67344

• Drakewood
  • Drakewood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi rchatcuff
Thanks for your interest in my Cashman Steinaecker's Horse piece. As indicated in the article the composition of Steinaecker's Horse was very cosmopolitan and no surprise that your relation was American. He and Cashman's service would have been on similar lines, particularly in the latter stages. imagine you've learned a lot already via this Forum, I.m sorry I can't add to that.
PS will try and post Cashman's excellent portrait on the Forum.
Regards

Les.

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 3 months ago #67348

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Les,

if you have any problems uploading the image, you're welcome to email it to me and I can post it for you. My email is david.biggins [at] angloboerwar.com
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 3 months ago #67358

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Here is the picture courtesy of Drakewood

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Steinaecker's Horse 4 years 5 days ago #68393

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Rhodesia, Orange Free State, Transvaal (1572 Tpr: R.Payne. Steinaecker's Horse)
[KSA (2)]
1902 Coronation Medal in bronze

Information from the book titled Steinaecker's Horsemen by William (Bill) Woolmore, pp266-7,

'Payne Robert, Trooper No.1572: Born Australia 2 November 1868. Served previously as Corporal No.269 in A Company, 6th New South Wales Imperial Bushmen. He embarked at Sydney on the transport Armenian on 23 April 1900 and entered the Transvaal via the port of Beira in Portuguese East Africa, then through Rhodesia and Bechuanaland, crossing the border near Mafeking from where they attempted to relieve the besieged garrison at Elands River Post. After serving in South Africa for more than 12 months he returned to Australia on the troopship Orient which left East London on 23 June 1901 and arrived in Sydney on 17 July 1901. He later returned to South Africa and enlisted in SH (Steinaecker's Horse) at Durban on 26 November 1901 - bushman, age 33, height 5'10", blue eyes, fair hair, tattoos on both forearms, address: Durban. NOK: mother, Mrs Payne, Appin, Victoria, Australia. Rode with the SH contingent in the Coronation parade in London and received the 1902 Coronation Medal. Transferred to the South African Constabulary at Komati Poort on 3 January 1903. He qualified for the QSA medal with clasps Cape Colony, Rhodesia, OFS & Transvaal and his KSA with the two date clasps was issued from the SH roll.' (his QSA medal and Coronation medal illustrated at Fig 91, p267 of above book)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.660 seconds