Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with raised dates 3 years 4 months ago #73970

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hi Meurig......

Miller - Checked my records and he was on the original list that I obtained in the 1970's (Vic Lock an ex-Strathcona) but it does not say where it came from......

As to the number made and eventually issued is unknown...... Of course the Ghost Dated medals were at one time Raised......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with raised dates 3 years 4 months ago #73978

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

QSAMIKE wrote: Hi Meurig......

Miller - Checked my records and he was on the original list that I obtained in the 1970's (Vic Lock an ex-Strathcona) but it does not say where it came from......

As to the number made and eventually issued is unknown...... Of course the Ghost Dated medals were at one time Raised......

Mike

Thanks Mike.

To be precise the ghost dated medals were made from altered dies.

It would be good to know how many Raised Date medals were minted (and to know of medals with dates chiselled off). The answer is probably in The Archives at Kew.

Compliments of the Season.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

QSAs with raised dates 3 years 4 months ago #73980

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Yes the the Ghost Dates were from an altered die what was I thinking......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSAs with raised dates 1 year 1 month ago #88931

• OJD
  • Thank you received: 20

djb wrote:

Pictures courtesy of DNW

QSA (0) (425 Pte. T. H. A. Williams, Ld. Strathcona’s H:) inverted apostrophe as normal

Approximately 62 medals with the dated reverse were issued, mostly (58) to men of Strathcona's Horse. Williams is entitled to 3 clasps, Natal, Orange Free State and Belfast. His K.S.A. medal, disc only without suspension, named ‘Capt: T. H. A. Williams, Candn: Scouts:’ was sold in these rooms in March 2020 (Lot 1231).

Thomas Henry Addams Williams was born in Monmouth, Wales, in about August 1864, and enlisted for Lord Strathcona’s Horse at Nelson, B.C., on 8 February 1900, aged 34 years 6 months, a surveyor by profession. In June 1900 Strathcona’s Horse joined Sir Redvers Buller’s Natal Field Force. ‘From the moment of their arrival, they served with marked success. I can hardly speak too highly of the value Strathcona's Horse have been to the Natal Field Force.’ (Buller’s Despatch, London Gazette February 1901 refers.) They took part in seven major actions as part of the Earl of Dundonald's 3rd Mounted Brigade. The unit suffered 50 casualties, 12 killed in action, 14 died of disease, 24 wounded. After the occupation of Pretoria and the annexation of the South African Republics, Lord Roberts declared the war to be over and left for England in December 1900. As a privately sponsored unit whose contractual year of service was close to its expiry, Lord Strathcona’s Horse was one of the first to be withdrawn. The regiment embarked at Cape Town on 20 January 1901, but Williams did not go with them because he had already enlisted into the Prince of Wales’s Light Horse (No. 20482). Shortly afterwards, in June 1901, he received a commission as a Lieutenant (and later a Captain) in the Canadian Scouts, and was slightly wounded at Rietfontein on 9 July 1901, the circumstances of which are described in the following two extracts taken from Jim Wallace’s Knowing no Fear, the Canadian Scouts in South Africa 1900-1902:

‘In a skirmish one of the Canadian Scouts had his horse shot out from under him and he was immediately seized by eight Boers. When left with two of his captors, the Scout managed to lead them within range of a small kopje held by a patrol of the King’s Royal Rifles. This movement exposed one of the Boers and the officer in charge of the patrol promptly shot him. The Scout then slipped out a pistol, which he had somehow concealed and shot the other Boer. The Scout was probably Lieutenant Thomas Williams, a former Strathcona, who had the end of his finger shot off when he was captured. According to the Toronto Globe, two of Williams’s captors marched him about a hundred yards when he drew his pistol, which had somehow been overlooked when he was searched, and shot them both.’

‘Captain Thomas Williams, who made an intrepid escape after being captured by the Boers near Rietfontein in July 1901, was Mentioned in Despatches ‘for conspicuous good services in General B. Hamilton’s operations in the Ermelo District in December and January last.’

A KSA to Thomas Henry Addams Williams is presently for sale at War and Son (no connection to me) for £2500 KSA to CAPT T.H.A. WILLIAMS . A KSA also named to him, but different style of naming was sold at Noonans on 5 March 2020, as defective (lacking suspension and clasps) for £380 hammer Williams 2nd KSA So there are two KSA's to him.

Owen
OMRS 8188
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, azyeoman

QSAs with raised dates 1 year 1 month ago #88934

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
Owen,

Thank you for spotting that. That is quite a price for a single KSA.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with raised dates 10 months 3 weeks ago #90096

These are my Great Grandfathers medals, or were. I know that Meurig has the QSA and we negotiating it, but can you please tell me to whom you sold the KSA, or put me in contact with them. Can the KSA even be valid for his short service, as I don’t find his name on the medal role? His number was 44910. His number in WW1 was 259. His sons, one of which died in WW2 upon the HMS Merchant, and his other son Donald Fraser Hunter 562822 made it home. He had three children, one of which is my father, my father had three sons. If anyone is willing to help me with research or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I want to leave a legacy for my only child and daughter. Thanks

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds