Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Named Kimberley Stars 4 years 8 months ago #64580

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 357
Pte J J Prince, Kimberley Town Guard, No. 6 Redoubt and then released from redoubts for engine driving, Electrical Department.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Named Kimberley Stars 4 years 8 months ago #64596

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Paul,

I have very much enjoyed the pictures you have posted - and I apologise for the length of time it takes to load the forum pages at the moment.
Dr David Biggins

Named Kimberley Stars 4 years 8 months ago #64597

• dunnboer
Hi David,
Glad you are enjoying them. I've got a few more to go yet but I am away for a bit so will post another day. I had noticed that the forum had slowed down but hopefully better soon.
As I said at the outset, I am trying to figure out how many jewelers were involved in the naming in Kimberley. The predominant style seems to be upright capitals with the curious triangles on the sides of the uprights. Does anyone know whether this font has a name?
Paul

Named Kimberley Stars 4 years 7 months ago #65397

• dunnboer
This sold in auction yesterday for over £700 + 29% commission. I don't know who Nurse Croser was but someone else presumably did! She is not on the QSA roll so presumably a civilian nurse during the siege.
A silver Kimberley Star 1899-1900, detailed 'Mayor's Siege Medal 1900', engraved to the reverse 'Nurse Croser', Birmingham 1900, a 1914-18 British War Medal to 'N/Sister. A.K.Croser.', and a First World War period discharge badge for services rendered, detailed 'S.A 10464'.

Attachments:

Named Kimberley Stars 4 years 7 months ago #65398

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Didn't civilian nurses (like Civilian Surgeons) qualify for the QSA? I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Rory

Named Kimberley Stars 4 years 7 months ago #65404

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is certainly a considerable sum of money, if that was her complete entitlement, I would think a nurse who served within the Union during the Great War, if she had served at Richmond and/or in France she would certainly be further entitled to a bilingual AVM.

dunnboer wrote: This sold in auction yesterday for over £700 + 29% commission. I don't know who Nurse Croser was but someone else presumably did! She is not on the QSA roll so presumably a civilian nurse during the siege.
A silver Kimberley Star 1899-1900, detailed 'Mayor's Siege Medal 1900', engraved to the reverse 'Nurse Croser', Birmingham 1900, a 1914-18 British War Medal to 'N/Sister. A.K.Croser.', and a First World War period discharge badge for services rendered, detailed 'S.A 10464'.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.126 seconds