Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Named Kimberley Stars 9 months 3 weeks ago #90663

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363

CGHGSM (1) Bechuanaland (Farr. Qr. Mr. Sgt. G R Needham Dmnd Fds Hse)
QSA (2) Defence of Kimberley, Orange Free State (173 Serjt-Farr G Needham Diamond FA)
Colonial Auxiliary Forces LS Medal (Far. Q.M Sgt. G Needham Kimberley Regt)
SJAB badge (named on reverse George Needham No 34828)

Enrolled 30 September 1895. Transferred to Kimberley Regiment 1 April 1907. Occupation Farrier at De Beers. (Information from Kimberley Siege Account and Medal Roll by David Biggins).

This group represents a protracted reunite involving multiple collectors over many years.
The first sighting was the sale of the KS, Colonial Auxiliary Forces LS Medal and SJAB badge by City Coins in 2002. They were offered by Noonans (DNW) as part of the Brian Kieran collection in 2010 and the COGHGSM was purchased from Gary Neate and added to the group before being offered to me by the then owner (a fellow forumite) in 2019 with the prophetic words "I’ve hoped for the last 10 years his QSA would pop up … might still."

In December 2022 Spinks listed

Description
(x) Pair: Sergeant-Farrier G. Needham, Diamond Fields Artillery

Queen's South Africa 1899-1902, 2 clasps, Defence of Kimberley, Orange Free State (173 Serjt:-Farr: G. Needham. Diamond F.A.); Mayor of Kimberley’s Star 1899-1900, reverse hallmark with date letter ‘b’, good very fine (2)

G. Needham is confirmed on the Medal Roll with entitlement to these two clasps, and was the only Farrier-Sergeant in the Battery. During the Defence of Kimberley, the Diamond Fields Artillery comprised some 97 men and six guns; originally entirely outranged by more modern Boer artillery pieces, they later manned the famous 4.1-inch 'Long Cecil' which enabled the defenders to return effective fire against their foe.

I entirely missed this despite following the auction and buying other lots until the previous owner contacted me to see whether I had been successful. There followed a frantic email to Marcus at Spinks who very kindly passed a message to the new owner of the QSA. After several months of intermittent contact a sale was agreed and the group was complete once more.

numquam desperes
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, thomaslynton, jim51, Neville_C, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Named Kimberley Stars 9 months 2 weeks ago #90820

• thomaslynton
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Absolutely fabulous !
A fantastic re-unite. A truly tremendous group.
Congratulations !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunnboer

Named Kimberley Stars 9 months 6 days ago #91065

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
Pair to Private C Ellis, C Company, Kimberley Town Guard.

Courtesy Bearnes Hampton & Littlewood

Description:

A Boer War Siege of Kimberly pair, to Private C Ellis, C Company, Kimberley Town Guard. Queen's South Africa Medal with Defence of Kimberley clasp and silver Mayor's Siege Medal, maker Alfred Horatio Derby, Birmingham 1900, engraved en suite. The QSA with gilt crown suspension.

Bearnes Hampton & Littlewood, 21 Aug 2023.

Estimate £200 - £300 GBP.

Attachments:

Named Kimberley Stars 8 months 5 days ago #91773

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Picture courtesy of Liverpool Medals

Kimberley Star (R J Bruton)

Described as:

There is a R.J. Brunton, in the Kimberley Town Guard on the Medal Roll, who during the siege served with the No I Section, L Company during the siege.

However his medal roll entry for the QSA would appear to show he never received it, reading: “Retd 15/8/1908”

It appears the medal roll had his spelling down incorrectly as:

A Richard James Bruton, was born circa 1859.

He was a Blacksmith by trade, who later died in Johannesburg aged 53 circa 1912.

£395
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Named Kimberley Stars 8 months 4 days ago #91778

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363

djb wrote:

Picture courtesy of Liverpool Medals

Not a great example!. The suspension ring at the top of the star is on sideways, presumably having been reattached, the lower suspender is a more recent copy and the upper suspender is missing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Named Kimberley Stars 8 months 4 days ago #91780

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992

dunnboer wrote:
Not a great example!. The suspension ring at the top of the star is on sideways, presumably having been reattached, the lower suspender is a more recent copy and the upper suspender is missing.

And what are those strange "joints" half way along each point? These, and the poor definition, make me wonder whether this could be a recast.

Neville

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.939 seconds