Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 7 months 1 week ago #92129

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Rory

Those labels are the work of Dave Weakley, a collector who lived on Natal South coast. I believe he moved to Australia and has since passed on.
As always I stand to be corrected if wrong. I did meet him on occasion and the way he labeled his medals always stuck with me, meticulously done with a stencil and draughtsmans pen, these were the days before the easy access to PC's and laser printers.

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian123456

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 7 months 1 week ago #92132

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2156
Thanks Jon

I've had a number of medals/groups pass through my hands that were once his - with that distinctive label. Thanks for the confirmation that he was the "man behind the label"

Regards

Rory

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 7 months 1 week ago #92133

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi
Thanks for the input on Impey pair, and for clarifying a question about the labelling that always intrigued me, but I never knew the author.

Kind regards
Adrian

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 7 months 1 week ago #92134

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Hi Adrian

Well done on a fantastic re-unite, a really great combination and with so many Victorian silver medals being lost over time by being split and probably melted down, it's always good to see a success story
Jon

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 4 months 2 weeks ago #93214

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4533
The QSA to Cpl John Felix Adams is being readvertised on Bobshop, this time at a 25% lower starting price.

The clasps look fine but the medal is gnarled. This is the post from 6 months ago: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...force?start=12#89882

Picture courtesy of Bobshop
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #93993

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 303
Here's my latest acquisition and as of now, I have at least one of each clasp in my collection. I'm very pleased to have acquired this as the recipient was captured and my primary focus for years has been medals to Boer War PoWs. If anyone knows which squadron Wood was in, I would be most grateful if you could post it please. Also, were there references to the Woods in the Mafeking Mail ? Thanks in advance. John

A Defense of Mafeking Prisoner of War Queen’s South Africa Medal 1899-1902, 3 Clasps: Orange Free State, Defence of Mafeking, Transvaal awarded to Trooper A.F. Wood, Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force who is confirmed as having taken part in the defense of Mafeking which lasted from 13th October 1899 through to 17th May 1900 as well as on operations in the Transvaal and Orange Free State, he was taken Prisoner of War after going out into the open to tend to his wounded brother, Trooper C.C. Wood, Protectorate Regiment who died of his wounds. Trooper A.F. Wood would later be released on 26th December 1899.

Queen’s South Africa Medal 1899-1902, 3 Clasps: Orange Free State, Defence of Mafeking, Transvaal; (102 TPR. A.F. WOOD. PROTECT: REGT F.F.)

A.F. Wood (Arthur Frederick) saw service as a Trooper (No. 102) with the Protectorate Regiment – Frontier Force and is confirmed as having taken part in the defense of Mafeking which lasted from 13th October 1899 through to 17th May 1900 as well as on operations in the Transvaal and Orange Free State. He joined the regiment on 18/08/1899 and was discharged on 31/10/1900. His brother, 104 C.C. Wood (Charles Christopher) joined on the same day and was KIA on 26/12/1899 in the attack on Game Tree Hill. Wood was captured trying to help his wounded brother, and was later released on what appears to have been the same day of his capture.

The action at Game Tree Hill, 26th December 1899. "Two squadrons Protectorate Regiment, supported by armored train and Bechuanaland Rifles, were ordered to attack enemy's works from left flank under Major Godley, while three guns and a maxim prepared the way from the right front of the work. On pressing home, the attack a heavy fire killed or wounded most of the officers and leading troops. These succeeded in gaining the parapet, but the work was found to have been strongly roofed in and so closed as to be impregnable". The British losses were this time very serious. Captain R J Vernon, Captain H C Sandford, Lieutenant H P Paton, and 21 non-commissioned officers and men were killed, Captain FitzClarence and 22 men wounded, and 3 missing. Colonel Baden-Powell said "If blame for this reverse falls on any one it should fall on myself, as everybody concerned did their part of the work thoroughly well and exactly in accordance with the orders I had issued. Both officers and men worked with splendid courage and spirit".

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds