Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 3 weeks ago #94056

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4533
John,

A view of Game Tree Farm from Ross's Siege Views

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi, azyeoman, Moranthorse1, Gustavo Alvarez

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 3 weeks ago #94058

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A highly imaginative portrayal of Game Tree Farm from Battles of the 19th Century

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 3 weeks ago #94060

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 303
Thanks for the wonderful photo and illustration. The photo is so much clearer and better than the one I had from the AWM. It puts it into perspective how difficult it would be to carry the position. I presume that the timbers around the base of the sandbags, and presumably in the interior of the fort, were once walls and perhaps a roof and what the men were shooting through during the battle. Thank you very much again. I look forward to your next book on Mafeking being published!

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 1 month 3 weeks ago #94500

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

[ BSACM Matabeleland 1893 (1) Rhodesia 1896 ]
QSA (2) Defence of Mafeking, Transvaal (151 Tpr: C. Bushnell. Protect: Regt. F.F.)

Noonan's state that he 'served with Mitchell’s Mounted Rifles' but I have never heard of that unit. I think they have mistaken 'Mitchell's M. R.' ie medal roll, in Walker's book, for an actual unit.

Born c 1866. Enlisted in the Bechuanaland Border Police (2103 Lance Corporal). Served in the Matabele War 1893. Enlisted in the Mashonaland Mounted Police, Belingwe Column (132 Trooper A Troop). Served in the Matabele Rebellion, 1896. Discharged in Bulawayo, 30 September 1896. BSACM Matabeleland 1893 (1) Rhodesia 1896. Enlisted in the PRFF 23 August 1899, and posted to D Squadron. Aged 33. Nationality: Colonial. Trade: Butcher. NOK: Mother, East London. Absent in town without leave, 17 December 1899. Fined 10s. Discharged 16 October 1900. Character very good. There is a death notice for a man called John Charles Bushnell, born c 1867 who died 16 February 1913 in East London. He was single, born in Cape Province and resided at 11a Fitzpatrick Road, East London. Trade: Tally clerk.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 1 month 2 weeks ago #94622

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The Mafeking medal to Trooper Bushnell received no correction to the erroneous description and sold for a hammer price of GBP 1,576. Total GBP 2,030. R 46,710. AUD 3,790. NZD 4,090. CAD 3,370. USD 2,490. EUR 2,280
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 3 weeks 5 days ago #95023

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of eBay

MC GV;
CGHGSM (1) Bechanaland (Pte B T Ward Kimberley Rifles);
QSA (1) Defence of Mafeking (225 Tpr B T Ward Prot Rgt);
1914/15 Star (Capt B T Ward R Suss R);
BWM and VM with MID (Major B T Ward)

Bertrand Thomas Ward served with the Kimberley Rifles in the Bechuanaland Campaign of 1896-7 and then with D Squadron of the Protectorate Regiment at the siege of Mafeking October 1899 - May 1900. In the Great War he served on the Western Front as a Captain with the Royal Sussex Regiment from August 1915, was Mentioned in Dispatches (LG 13/6/16) and latterly served as a Major with the 19th London Regiment (St Pancras) with whom he was awarded the Military Cross (LG 1/1/19)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 4.233 seconds