Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #93994

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Azyeoman
The Colin Walker Siege Register shows your man as being a member of C Sqn., PRFF. Later this day I will send you a pic of Walker's entry for Tpr A.F.Wood. Walker does not record any entry for him in the Mafeking Mail.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #93996

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 303
Thank you very much. I gather C Squadron was one of the two Protectorate Regiment Squadrons that attacked Game Tree Hill on 26 December 1899. Records show Arthur Frederick’s (102) brother Charles Christopher (104 and born 1873 in Surry) was killed in the attack. Interestingly, on the roll, there is also an Alfred Joseph Wood (103 born in London in 1877) who was also killed in the same attack. I wonder if all three were related as they had consecutive numbers. I see from Find A Grave that Alfred and Charles are both buried in the Mafeking Cemetery.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #93997

• LinneyI
As promised.

According to Stirling's "The Colonials in SA" (of which no one interested in ABW Colonial Horse should be without) tells us that two Sqns of the PR, supported by an Armoured Train and Bechuanaland Rifles attacked Game Tree Hill. Creswicke Vol. IV, page 80, tells us that Capt. Vernon (KRRC) with C Sqn PRFF and Capt. Fitzclarance with D sqn PRFF led the attack. A sqn PRFF held the reserve upon the left.
You may be interested to know that Maj. Panzera in person, with his little artillery assets, took up a supporting position on the extreme left of the line (see IL's earlier posts concerning this remarkable officer).
According to Wilson's Register, there were several men named Wood in the siege. He does not connect "103 A.J.Wood C Sqn, PRFF" with the Wood brothers.
I can take a pic of Walkers entry for "104 Chas Christopher Wood PRFF" if you want it.
A very nice medal you have there.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #93998

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 303
Thank you very very much for the info. That’s most interesting! I would appreciate it very much to have his brother’s entry as well. I can’t thank you enough, and will start looking for a copy of Sterling’s book.

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #94006

• LinneyI
Azyeoman
No problems -

I have long had an interest in the Mafeking siege - both the defence and the relief - and very much like to see medals to the men on the spot. To get more background on the defenders' raids on the besiegers, Creswicke can be useful (you can access his volumes by going to the "Books" section of this site and trawling through). Indeed, with Amery (Times History) and Maurice (Official History) there is much grist for the mill.
And much on this site as well.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Medals to the Protectorate Regiment and PR Field Force 2 months 4 weeks ago #94007

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4533
Azyeoman,

These are the details for his brother, Alfred Joseph Woof

Born in Bethnal Green in 1878, son of Thomas C and Hannah A Wood. Younger brother of Arthur Wood. Enlisted in the PRFF 18 August 1899 and posted to C Squadron. Age 22. Nationality: English. Trade: Bookkeeper. NOK: Mother, 29 Trelawney Road, Hackney, London. Killed in action, 26 December 1899. He was shot through the body and died after four hours
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds