Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 8 months ago #65638

• kirkman
  • kirkman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much. His first son born in Manchester his position shows as intelligence officer in 1903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 8 months ago #65647

• DocCJ
  • Thank you received: 22
Hello
In relation to your question about travel to and from South Africa, he may have used military transports (or transports hired by the government), or as a civilian used one of the commercial vessels with(in 1896 at least) two departures in each direction a week. The movement of military units is sometimes recorded in the Times (subscription required or you can go to the British Library and access for free) - it's a slow process (take my word for it!). Passenger lists for civilian travel are available through the National Archives in Kew though these have been digitised through Ancestry, which makes searching a little easier if the surname is less common (I have been looking for a 'J Smith' so have had a challenge!). The search protocols are a little tricky, but make sure you limit origin or destination to South Africa - this helps greatly. It also helps if you have clues about dates/years.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 8 months ago #65648

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Thank you, Chris. That information will help many people.

The shipping records from the newspapers are available here: www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/86-shipping-records
Dr David Biggins

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 8 months ago #65649

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Thank you, Chris. That information will help many people.

The shipping records from the newspapers are available here: www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/86-shipping-records
Dr David Biggins

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 8 months ago #65651

• kirkman
  • kirkman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow. Thanks so much. You guys are amazing

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 8 months ago #65661

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
What an absolutely fascinating character, I noted that he joined the original special service company the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry, in effect sponsored, he was not actually serving within the Home Service Yeomanry at the time, being examined in Newtown and approved in Welshpool, very typical for a Shrewsbury man.
He prior service in the Bechuanaland Border Police is certainly worthy of note, he was 1431 Trooper Coleman, this organisation had been both funded and recruited here by the Colonial Office.
It is interesting see that he may have stated he was wounded, a most unlucky fellow if so and certainly in a tiny minority, although, we don't no the nature of the wound, I can only assume that it was in no way, whatsoever, a serious one, moreover it was not received at either Bembesi or Singuesi, during the annexation of Matabeleland.
I suspect that he was not and the entry "Bechuanaland Police Force" upon his papers next to the word "Wounded" is actually just continuation of "Campaigns" above.
These men had been, in effect, lent to the British South Africa Company after a period of careful planning had been concluded with the Colonial Secretary in London because of public opinion and associated issues.
A brief glance at WO100/77 does confirm his address in 1896 as being care of Mrs McMann, Belle Vue, Shrewsbury, England, I would think perhaps she was merely his landlady, notwithstanding, certainly another avenue to go down whilst you are looking at this fellow, anyway, I wish you good luck.

kirkman wrote: Hi. My g grandfather lived in South Africa and joined the imperial yeomanry in 1899 to fight in the boer war. I have his service record and trying to work out where he was and why he was in South Africa.. his marriage certificates indicate he was born in Natal. But from the war record he seems to travel back and forward. I don’t understand the notation on his medal rolls or records.. can anyone help me. I also would like to find copies of medals. Is that possible ? Thanks for your help

The files won’t attach from my I pad. It says they are too large. Is there another way

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds