Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Charles William Coleman unclaimed medals 4 years 7 months ago #65615

• kirkman
  • kirkman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you... there is no living family and I am the only one looking into this ancestor.. I an female age 60. And don’t understand any of the notations on the documents.. thanks for your help..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 7 months ago #65616

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
These are the pages:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kirkman

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 7 months ago #65617

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The fifth image (which I have not posted) is the King's South Africa [KSA] Medal roll showing he earned the KSA from the Field Intelligence Department [FID]. He was a guide.

He had transferred to the FID after serving in the Imperial Yeomanry [IY].

He earned two medals for his Boer War service, the KSA and also the QSA. He served in the 31st Company, 9th Battalion of the IY and earned the clasps Cape Colony and Orange Free State.

He was invalided from South Africa in December 1900 but must have returned in 1901 and served for at least 18 months to gain the KSA.
Dr David Biggins

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 7 months ago #65618

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
By page, which abbreviations are causing you problems?
Dr David Biggins

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 7 months ago #65619

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
He was an accomplished man. On page 4 the papers list that he can speak Zulu, Colony Kaffir, Dutch and other native dialects.

He fought in the Zulu Wars, Matabeleland campaign and the Boer War.
Dr David Biggins

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 7 months ago #65620

• kirkman
  • kirkman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks David, Im trying to find out where he was and who his parent were ...at the top of the page of Military History sheet it says country, from,to, year, days
why would south africa be crossed out then home- south africa- home. where would home be ? would that mean he is living back in England. would his enlistment have been from England or would he have enlisted in South Africa. strange that he fought for the British when he was born in south africa... his colouring also ??? He had a wife in England (and also one in South Africa) ! would he have been fighting for the British ? as he states he was born in Natal of British origin. snd what is the writing at the right hand side written sideways ? on the Medal roll there is some more notes with numbers do you know what that means ? He left the war in 1901 as he married a Boer. (my g grandmother) and fled back to england... but came back to south africa in 1912 . i have no record of him since 1915. Is it possible he rejoined the army somewhere at that age (50).. He was a publican or Intelligence office on various documents. and his father a stone mason ! so his family did not sound like it was involved in military.. any assistance understanding the wars and rolls of the british in south africa would be gratefully received. thanks so much for your time.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds