Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals and meanings of comments 4 years 7 months ago #65667

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I forgot to talk to you about Coleman's original service in 1879, I checked WO100/48 and he is very clearly shown as 41 Trooper Wm Coleman, certainly from memory, at least, Frank Baker raised his own "Horse" three times from 1878 through until 1880, he had originally been a member of the Ceylon Rifles and subsequently, rather closer to home, certainly from my point of view, a Captain in the Anglesey Militia.
The regiment had been raised originally in the Eastern Cape during 1878 for the ninth Kaffir War before being disbanded for the first time, Frank Baker then raised it again for the Zulu War in Port Elizabeth in 1879, this was when William Coleman joined it's ranks and served throughout that campaign.
Coleman would have been part of General Wood's column and I would have thought he would have actually known Redvers Buller himself, although, perhaps not socially, but, he would certainly have seen him on a daily basis, he would have served until August 1879 before the regiment was disbanded for the second time.
Baker went on to raise the regiment again in Natal in 1880, but, Coleman appears not to have been within it's ranks.

kirkman wrote: Hi. My g grandfather lived in South Africa and joined the imperial yeomanry in 1899 to fight in the boer war. I have his service record and trying to work out where he was and why he was in South Africa.. his marriage certificates indicate he was born in Natal. But from the war record he seems to travel back and forward. I don’t understand the notation on his medal rolls or records.. can anyone help me. I also would like to find copies of medals. Is that possible ? Thanks for your help

The files won’t attach from my I pad. It says they are too large. Is there another way

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds