TOPIC: Medals to the Sussex Regiment

Medals to the Sussex Regiment 3 weeks 6 days ago #67703

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1626

Picture courtesy of DNW

IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (3942 Pte. E. Baxter 2d. Bn. Ryl. Suss. Regt.);
QSA (3) Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1902 (3942 Pte. E. Baxter. Rl: Sussex Regt.)

Edward Baxter was born in London in 1873 and attested for the Royal Sussex Regiment at Chichester on 11 February 1892, having previously served in the Regiment’s 3rd (Militia) Battalion. He served with the 2nd Battalion in India from 27 November 1893 to 13 February 1902, taking part in the Tirah Expedition 1897-98; and saw further service in South Africa during the Boer War from 14 February to 15 September 1902.

He transferred to the Army Reserve on 29 April 1903, and was discharged on 10 February 1904, after 12 years’ service.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Sussex Regiment 2 weeks 2 days ago #67867

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1626
Can anyone help me out here? The London Medal Co are offering this group for £900. What am I missing?

Picture courtesy of the London Medal Co

QSA (2) Cape Colony, Orange Free State; (5176 PTE H. JONES. 1: R. SUSSEX REGT.);
KSA (2) (5176 PTE. H. JONES. RL: SUSSEX REGT);
1914 Star; (5176 SJT H. JONES. 2/R.SUSS:R.);
British War Medal and Victory Medal; (5176 SJT. H. JONES. R.SUSS.R.);
Army LS&GC (5176 SJT: H. JONES. R.SUSS: REGT.)

Condition: heavy edge bruise on second, overall Good Very Fine.

Henry Jones saw service as a Private (No.5176) with the 1st Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment during the Boer War in South Africa on operations in the Cape Colony and Orange Free State. A long serving regular soldier, with the outbreak of the Great War, as a Sergeant with the 2nd Battalion, he saw service out on the Western Front from 12th August 1914. Jones later transferred as a Sergeant (No.704124) to the Labour Corps.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Sussex Regiment 2 weeks 2 days ago #67869

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 755
David
Blowed if I know! Pte H.Jones of the Royal Sussex does not appear in the Casualty roll for 1899-1902 (for which I assume he was relieved) and long service appears to be the only fairly distinguishing feature of the group. I would never consider talking down infantry service during the Boer War or on the Western Front - or anywhere else for that matter; however perhaps there is a core of well-heeled collectors to the Rl. Sussex Regiment out there who might bite?
I never understood the rationale behind UK dealer medal group pricings, anyway.
Best regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.678 seconds