• Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 3 weeks 2 days ago #70710

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1836
The Imperial Light Infantry were raised in Natal soon after the commencement of the war, were inspected in December 1899 and participated in the relief of Ladysmith including at Spion Kop.

There are several forum posts detailing individual men from the ILI notably posted by Rory that are well worth reading.

Picture courtesy of DNW

CGSGSM (1) Bechuanaland (Pte. W. T. Taylor. Kimberley Rifles) locally impressed naming;
QSA (5) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing’s Nek, South Africa 1901 (255 Pte. W. T. Taylor. Imp. L.I.);
BWM (Capt. W. T. Taylor. R.F.C.)
[ VM ]

William Thomas Taylor was born on 31 March 1877. Served in the Bechuanaland campaign of 1896-97, and in South African War of 1899-1902. In civilian life Taylor was a Hydro-Electric Consulting Engineer, F.R.S.A., F.R.G.S., M.Inst.C.E., M.I.Mech.E., M.I.E.E.; engaged in the design, construction and management of large extra-high voltage hydro-electric systems in United States of America, Mexico, India, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, etc.

During the Great War he was Captain and Company Commander, 1/12th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment from 1915-19, attached Royal Flying Corps as Equipment Officer from August 1916 to April 1918; Staff Captain, Air Ministry, 1918-19.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 2 weeks 2 days ago #70839

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1836

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (3) Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 (860 Cpl H.J.Graham. Impl: Lt Infy.)

860 L/Cpl Henry John Graham confirmed on nominal roll of Imperial Light Infantry. Served from 23Nov1899 to 02Apr1901.

An unusual combination, caused by his capture at Spion Kop and subsequent imprisonment.

Sold for Au $420
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds