TOPIC:

Pte.W.Wright - Ancestor -Medal mystery? 11 years 9 months ago #4089

• Joshwhite
  • Joshwhite's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all! I'm wondering if someone can help me with my questions:

I have recently inherited medals from 3 ancestors streching across the 2nd Boer War, WW1 and WW2. Personally I am extremely interested in military history, however I focus more on WW2 and know little about the exteremely fine details of the 2nd Boer War (only studied it at A-level History)

Any way, my question is based on one ancestors set of medals - a private W.Wright who served in the Boer war and WW1 in the Rifle Brigade - I have his Kings South Africa medal, 1914 Star, War medal and the victory medal along with his 2 cap badges, a few photos of him in uniform in 1914 and His 1914 cigarette case.

The mystery is that his KSA medal has a QSA medal ribbon and there is no QSA medal present - Is there some genuine reason for this?

However I fear that this isn't normal and a QSA medal has been lost through time - I have read that the KSA was never issued alone and in his 1914 photo, his ribbon bar has both a QSA and KSA ribbons on his medal bar. But am I mistaken?

Its a shame if that is the case, I don't like the fact that just one medal is missing from a magnificent set of one of my ancestors and the QSA is arguably the most significant. Would it be worth if this is the case to try a track down the medal on the market and through collectors? And is this actually possible and realistic?

Thanks ever so much, any help would be highly appreciated, if any photos are needed please ask and I will post.

Thanks again

Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Pte.W.Wright - Ancestor -Medal mystery? 11 years 9 months ago #4090

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Josh,

Welcome to the forum. This is a perfect place to start in your quest to re unite what seems is most certainly a missing QSA.It is correct in that the KSA was never issued without the QSA and I would say that over time the QSA has gone missing and it's ribbon has been placed on the KSA.

It is always a good idea to do what you have done by advertising the fact that you are looking for a missing medal. It is not impossible that it should re surface at a point however, prepare for the worst. I would though scout around local auction sites as well as the Ebay's of the world if I were you, as you just never know. I would also get the family to have another good scratch around as all the rest of the medals were together perhaps this one has just simply been misplaced.

I hope it works out.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Pte.W.Wright - Ancestor -Medal mystery? 11 years 9 months ago #4091

• Joshwhite
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi, thanks for your help, quick reply appreciated

Okay then, at least i am certain I have a missing meal now! (which isn't necessarily a good thing haha). I will continue to look on eBay for it and all over for it, hopefully it still exists!

I searched this site for his name though couldnt find it. Would his name appear on the QSA Medal roll then?

Thanks
Josh

Re: Pte.W.Wright - Ancestor -Medal mystery? 11 years 9 months ago #4092

• capepolice
Josh,

Yes it would, I don't have access to the medal rolls for the Rifle Brigade so can't help you there.

Regards

Adrian

Re: Pte.W.Wright - Ancestor -Medal mystery? 11 years 9 months ago #4093

• capepolice
Josh,

According to the Casualty Roll of the South African Field Force, there is listed the following:

Rifle Brigade

6367 Pte W.Wright, Severely wounded at Boschmans Krantz on the 16 Jan 1901.

What is the Reg number impressed around the rim of the KSA?

Regards

Adrian

Re: Pte.W.Wright - Ancestor -Medal mystery? 11 years 9 months ago #4094

• Joshwhite
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
[Word removed by moderator] That is him! - 6367

Wow I'm quite amazed, I am desperate to retrieve ALL information I can about my ancestors who served in the wars and this is a great start thanks to you! :cheer:

I'm surprised that he was 'severely wounded' as he was in ww1 right from the beginning of 1914 until 1918. So is severely wounded fatal? Must have recovered well

Haha now you have given me a thirst for more information, I think this is a great site to help direct me on finding out more info thanks to people such as yourself!

Is there any where else i can look to get information on the QSA

Thanks

Josh

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds