TOPIC: QSAs with the clasp Wepener

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 week 3 days ago #67082

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1574
I am looking at Thomas Henry Wilson who served in the Kaffrarian Rifles, Brabant's Horse, RPR and CinCBG during the Boer War. He was MC for the Great War.

His group including QSA (4) to Brabant's Horse have been on sale at Frontier Medals for years: www.frontiermedals.com/index.php?main_pa...=2_7&products_id=392

I have come across an earlier listing of this group but from a source I do not know. This listed the same group that is listed but Frontier but including a second QSA (2) CC Wep named to the Kaffrarian Rifles. This is entirely possible as his is listed on the Kaffrarian roll.

My question is why the second QSA has been split off and where it is now?

He is also entitled to a CGHGSM (1) Bechuanaland but this is also missing.

There is a link on the Frontier site to more information but this gives a 403 error. Is Frontier still trading? They advertise a Lockdales sale in 2015.

This is his entry in the Wepener roll:

He was born about 1866. Enlisted, KR, 22 April 1897. Served in the Bechunaland Rebellion 1897. Enlisted 2nd BrH 19 March 1900. Dangerously wounded at Senekal, 28 June 1900. Discharged, medically unfit, 30 August 1900 at Rosebank Camp. Also served CinCBG(22799) 21 November 1900 to 11 May 1901 and 1st RPR (133) 1 January 1900 to 19 March 1900. Aged 34 in 1900. Nationality: English. Trade: Engineer. NOK: Mother, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia. Served in the Great War. Enlisted in the South African Engineers as a Temporary Lieutenant, 25 September 1915. Sent to Nyasaland on road making duties. He was promoted Temporary Captain, 1 August 1917.  MC LG 4 June 1917. MID LG 25 September 1917. While serving in Nyasaland and Tanganyika in the Engineer Detachment of the SA Rifles, Wilson suffered six bouts of malaria and in April 1917 was granted 2 months recuperation leave. Report from Addington Hospital 25 April 1917 states that he " ... Is anaemic and thin. States that he has lost about 7 Ibs in weight. Heart is weak in action and systolic murmur in aortic region present. Is very short winded on exertion. Physique and nutrition poor. Other organs appear to be normal.’ Returned to Nyasaland, 10 July 1917, but gradually became very debilitated and run down and was advised to leave the tropics. Admitted No 4 General Hospital, 18 March 1918 ‘… Still anaemic. Heart dilated. Spleen enlarged. Liver slightly enlarged.’ Released from service as unfit for tropical duties, 6 June 1918.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds