Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 10 months ago #64337

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
The Baum pair sold for a hammer price of £750 yesterday so let's hope they were reunited with their other medals in this group.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 10 months ago #64344

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi David

I managed to buy the Baum pair from Warwick and Warwick, so I can confirm that I will be able to make another re-unite , the 2nd re-unite for me containing a Cape LS&GC group.

Regards
Adrian

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 10 months ago #64345

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's great news. Well done, Adrian.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 9 months ago #64528

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It has taken 3 weeks to process the 2nd Brabant's Horse nominal roll for Wepener men mainly because, unlike the 1st Brabant's roll, the 2nd's is not in alphabetical order.

I did find one more man with prior service in the Colonial Scouts, Trooper R Wormald so this brings to 3 the number, so far found, with Relief or Ladysmith and Wepener clasps. He served in the Colonial Scouts 27 November 1899 to 26 January 1900 and joined 2nd Brabant's on 1 February 1900 in Queenstown.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 9 months ago #64942

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The four Wepener QSAs in this week's Spink sale, including one casualty and two officers' medals:

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 5 clasps, Cape Colony, Wepener, Transvaal, Wittebergen, South Africa 1901 (Lieut: A. E. Judd. Driscoll’s Scts.), good very fine and a rare casualty £500-600

Alex Edwin Judd was severely wounded at Wepener on 8 April 1900, whilst serving with Driscoll’s Scouts. He died of his wounds on 24 April 1900. Starting as a small unit serving with the Colonial Division, just 56 men from Driscoll’s Scouts were present at the siege of Wepener, under Captain Daniel Patrick Driscoll. Initially kept in reserve, the Scouts were brought forward in support of the Cape Mounted Rifles and two miles from a position of relative safety beside a farmhouse, they faced a continuous fire from two Maxims, a pom-pom and rifles. During the siege, Lieutenant Weiner and about a dozen N.C.O.s and men were wounded, including Lieutenant A. E. Judd.

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 4 clasps, Cape Colony, Wepener, Transvaal, Wittebergen (Capt: A. H. Warren, Border Horse.), good very fine £400-500

Albert Henry Warren was born at Stutterheim, Cape Colony on 7 November 1869 and served as a Trooper in the Pioneer Corps in the Mashonaland Expedition of 1890.
During the Second Anglo-Boer War, he enlisted at Kei Road on 9 November 1899, as a Trooper in the 1st Brabant’s Horse. Commissioned Lieutenant on 26 November 1899 and promoted to Captain on 28 January 1900, he served in 1st Brabant’s Horse at the defence of Wepener. On 28 April 1900, however, he resigned from the unit and on the following day became a Captain in the Border Horse. Having then resigned from the unit in November 1900, he became a Captain in ‘A’ Squadron of the Stutterheim District Mounted Troops and, later still, a Captain in the Union Defence Force, Reserve of Officers.

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 4 clasps, Cape Colony, Wepener, Transvaal, Wittebergen (408 Cpl: G. S. Hope. Brabant’s Horse), nearly extremely fine £340-380

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 4 clasps, Cape Colony, Wepener, Transvaal, Wittebergen (1952 Corpl: W. Fisher. Cape M.R.), light polishing, very fine £300-350
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 9 months ago #64949

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I came across an interesting thread last night regarding Helier B Cuming CB of the Kaffrarian Rifles. A collector was showing a recently acquired miniature group attributed to him. This was followed by messages from the family saying the full size and miniature medals had been stolen and seeking their return.

gmic.co.uk/topic/48187-miniature-medals-...ments#comment-593983

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds