Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 6 months ago #71844

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Sadly, the portrait is just as fake, he was not a Field Officer, it would certainly be interesting to hear what the MOD have to say about this character.

LinneyI wrote: David
Well, at least he LOOKED the part! Pity about all those re-named medals - not to mention his headstone.
Best regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 6 months ago #71848

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I do wonder if he was told to resign his commission to avoid being cashiered, which would have been rather an embarrassment for both the Army Council and his regiment, for an individual to "walt" was nothing new, but, to actually take it to that level is truly stunning.
To carry on, perhaps after the portrait was taken is nothing less than disrespectful to members of his regiment who never left France and Belgium in 1940, as well as all those who had worn that particular uniform before, David Jones, Hedd Wyn, Robert Graves and Siegfried Sassoon and the rest of them, their service was a matter of fact.

QSAMIKE wrote: I wonder how many times he was challenged by people in the know...... Mike

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 6 months ago #71960

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Wepener, Transvaal, Wittebergen (1250 Serjt: F. C. Stuart. Cape M.R.);
KSA (2) (1250 Serjt: F. C. Stuart. Cape M.R.)
[ Cape LS&GC 5 December 1902 ]

Has been sold by City Coins and Liverpool Medals but on neither occasion with the LS&GC.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 6 months ago #72266

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Let's hope the person who bought the pair to Stuart yesterday is able to re-unite the group.

The pair sold for a hammer price of £600. Totals (inc VAT on the commission for the UK only): £773. R15,600. Au$1,400. Can$1,300. US$1,000
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 6 months ago #72270

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The fantasy group to O'Dell sold above its estimate of £1,000 to £1,400 (althought I am not sure how accurately you could estimate this particular group). It sold for a hammer price of £1,600. Totals (inc VAT on the commission for the UK only): £2,061. R41,700. Au$3,600. Can$3,400. US$2,600.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 5 months ago #72594

• matseb
  • Thank you received: 2
I have come across a QSA to 113 Tpr M.Neethling Steytlerville DMT ( on the roll for SDMT but no clasps listed ) with 4 clasps CC,WEPENER, Wittebergen, Belfast .Any possibility that this is genuine with previous service and clasp qualification in another unit ( eg Brabants Horse to which unit I have seen this clasp combination ) ?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds