TOPIC:

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8178

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I thought I would start off a new thread to contain examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs to help people to identify them. This thought was provoked by an auction listing of a QSA/KSA pair to Corporal H McInnes of the 2nd Searforth Highlanders which are clearly renamed but this is not part of the item description. The seller does note that there is no regimental number on the medals but fails to explain why this might be.

Here is the QSA and KSA to start off this thread.

Please add more examples.

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8193

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David and others interested: this will be a useful topic - though I must say that the relatively few I have seen renamed went from crude to passable and in several styles as we would expect. Back in the early 70's I got caught by an engraved QSA to RE from a local dealer and have been very wary ever since. It might also be nice to see examples of OFFICIALLY renamed QSA/KSA and how they were detected.
Regards IL.

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8194

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Ian,

That's a good idea. I think I have a couple of pictures of officially renamed QSAs.

I was caught a few years ago when I bought the QSA/KSA pair to Chapin of the SALH. I see these are still available for sale, along with quite a few of his other medals.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8195

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

LinneyI wrote: David and others interested: this will be a useful topic - though I must say that the relatively few I have seen renamed went from crude to passable and in several styles as we would expect. Back in the early 70's I got caught by an engraved QSA to RE from a local dealer and have been very wary ever since. It might also be nice to see examples of OFFICIALLY renamed QSA/KSA and how they were detected.
Regards IL.

Hello Linney.....

An early engraved QSA to the RE's would most likely have been OK as they the Officers and some erly Cavalry were also engraved.....

I like to smooth my thumb and forefinger over the edge and if it is sharp then I have second thoughts but then again it could also be an officially renamed medal as well.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8196

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David and Mike
Thanks for replies. I am always a bit puzzled when I see the term "officially renamed" and wonder how the describer knows it is so. Some time ago, City Coins featured an "officially renamed" QSA with instructing paperwork. I had a hearty "go" at it but missed out.
Mike, the engraved naming RE QSA was definitely renamed! Was accepted at face value by myself as OK as the dealer would "surely not pass on a dud to a beginner!". Was not even suspected until an Officer's engraved QSA was obtained and alarm bells really rang. Rim had rounded edges, and the purchase of a suitable caliper showed the disc was distinctly "out-of-round". Item long since gone. Now I rely on a digital vernier if in doubt.
In conclusion, this topic could really be interesting.
Regards, IL.

Examples of renamed QSAs and KSAs 11 years 1 month ago #8202

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I was once told that many of the QSA's awarded to nurses were "officially renamed",i.e. name erased at the Mint and then given the new name. I wonder if this was indeed the case?

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds