TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 2 weeks ago #26706

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
Mike,

I'm not finding his Egypt or SAGS on Ancestry. Not to say they are not there, just that I cannot find them.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 2 weeks ago #26714

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning David......

This was done way back as I said long before I really knew about "Walts" and naming styles...... Have learnt a lot since then.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 3 days ago #26926

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

The group to George Byrne, RFA, sold on eBAY for £590 back in February.

The seller says:

George Byrne was born in West Yorkshire, traveling to Bradford to enlist. During the Second Boer War he served in the 67th Battery Royal Field Artillery, later in the conflict he served with the 44th.

Byrne was awarded a six bar Queens South Africa Medal, with the impressive bars! Talana, Defence of Ladysmith Transvaal, Laing’s Nek, Cape Colony and Orange Free State. The bars are mounted in the wrong order but all are confirmed on the medal rolls. Cape Colony and Orange Free State are attached via unofficial rivets. Byrne was also awarded a Kings South Africa Medal with Bars 01 and 02. Again this is confirmed on the medal roll.

Sadly it doesn’t seem that any service papers have survived, but I would think Byrne was a career soldiers as he served also during the Great War. Landing in France on the 28th of August 1914, he was tragically killed in action on the 22nd of October 1914. This was during the Battle of Langemarck during the 1st Battle of Ypres.

George Byrne is remembered on the Menin Gate Memorial.

The group is mounted as worn on the obverse of the 1914 Star and Victory Medal are polished, please see the pictures. The reason for the polishing is I was told, that his widow wore them every remembrance Sunday, polishing them beforehand. The QSA and KSA have some scratches to the obverse and reverse, but are not as polished as the trio. On its own the QSA KSA pair would retail around £500 to £550. All the naming is perfectly visible and totally unaffected by the polishing. The 1914 Star has a correction to the NE in Byrne.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 3 days ago #26932

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello David,

A nice group that I watched on Ebay, thought it went for a reasonable price too.

Regards
Paul :)

djb wrote:

The group to George Byrne, RFA, sold on eBAY for £590 back in February.

The seller says:

George Byrne was born in West Yorkshire, traveling to Bradford to enlist. During the Second Boer War he served in the 67th Battery Royal Field Artillery, later in the conflict he served with the 44th.

Byrne was awarded a six bar Queens South Africa Medal, with the impressive bars! Talana, Defence of Ladysmith Transvaal, Laing’s Nek, Cape Colony and Orange Free State. The bars are mounted in the wrong order but all are confirmed on the medal rolls. Cape Colony and Orange Free State are attached via unofficial rivets. Byrne was also awarded a Kings South Africa Medal with Bars 01 and 02. Again this is confirmed on the medal roll.

Sadly it doesn’t seem that any service papers have survived, but I would think Byrne was a career soldiers as he served also during the Great War. Landing in France on the 28th of August 1914, he was tragically killed in action on the 22nd of October 1914. This was during the Battle of Langemarck during the 1st Battle of Ypres.

George Byrne is remembered on the Menin Gate Memorial.

The group is mounted as worn on the obverse of the 1914 Star and Victory Medal are polished, please see the pictures. The reason for the polishing is I was told, that his widow wore them every remembrance Sunday, polishing them beforehand. The QSA and KSA have some scratches to the obverse and reverse, but are not as polished as the trio. On its own the QSA KSA pair would retail around £500 to £550. All the naming is perfectly visible and totally unaffected by the polishing. The 1914 Star has a correction to the NE in Byrne.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

QSAs with clasp Talana 8 years 11 months ago #41049

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi all

I can't find the specific topic, but just wanted to wish everyone good luck for this weeks auctions!!

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

QSAs with clasp Talana 8 years 11 months ago #41050

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
You too Doug. Please let us know how your bids go.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.629 seconds