TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Talana 11 years 1 week ago #8984

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The two other threads on clasps for Elandslaagte and Wepener have been really enjoyable so I thought I ought to start a new thread for the Talana clasp, another favourite of mine.

For my Talana book, I calculated the number of clasps issued at 4,932.

There are only 12 Talana clasps to the Indian Subordinate Medical Department. I have tracked two on the market. Here is one of these two, coming up for auction later this month at Bonhams. My thanks to Bonhams for permission to reproduce this image.

Assistant Surgeon John Moore was born on the 17th March 1852, he passed Hospital Apprentice for Indian Subordinate Medical Department (Madras) 1st July 1871, serving with 107th Foot. Assistant Apothecary 2nd Class 31 Aug 1876; Assistant Apothecary 1st Class 31 Aug 1881, serving with 1st Battn Essex Regt; Assistant Surgeon 1st Class 1 July 1890; Served with Wunthu Field Force, 1891-92, present at the taking and occupation of Mansai. Serving in subordinate medical charge of No 1 Section Hospital Secunderabad; Senior Assistant Surgeon 15 Apr 1901, serving with No18 British Field Hospital in South Africa; Senior Assistant Surgeon, Supernumary 21 Mar 1902, serving in subordinate medical charge of Station Hospital, Wellington. Retired 17 Mar 1907.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Talana 11 years 1 week ago #8989

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234

Awarded to 4261 Pte. P. Grieve 18th Hussars KIA Talana 20/10/1899. Peter Grieve was one of three men of the regiment killed at Adelaide Farm where Colonel Moller eventually surrendered. He was originally buried at Adelaide Farm but was later re-interred at Dundee town cemetery where he and his two comrades are commemorated as 'unknown' privates of the 18th Hussars on the cemetery memorial. He served in C squadron.

Although a single clasp single QSA it's quite a rarity as only 6 men of the 18th Hussars were KIA at Talana (the other three were killed with the Maxim gun detachment) and only 12 single clasp Talana QSAs were awarded to the regiment in total.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with clasp Talana 11 years 1 week ago #8990

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A rarity indeed and a lovely QSA to have.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Talana 11 years 1 week ago #8995

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Having wanted to buy a Talana QSA to the Dundee Rifle Association for some time, a past City Coins auction saw two being acquired in the same sale! One of these was awarded to D M McPhail. He served in the DRA and later, during the Rebellion, in the 1st Dundee Burgher Reserves.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Talana 11 years 1 week ago #9030

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I think I might already have shown this group on the forum. If so, my apologies.

7308 Private F Lawrence, 1st KRRC, was with the Mounted Infantry and he was captured with the cavalry during the embarrassing ending of the Battle of Talana. After his release, he returned to his regiment and completed the war with the KRR MI. He later settled in South Africa.

Brett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

QSAs with clasp Talana 11 years 1 week ago #9034

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

Thanks to you rather than apologies from you are in order. This is a lovely group.

The silk ribbon on the 1914-15 Star looks amazing too. It is becoming a rare and expensive commodity these days.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds