Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10446

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It does not look quite right to me, both the end sides edges look rather too narrow to me, who is this man and what do the rivets look like?

sahpa2000 wrote: Hi All,

I've recently made an expensive purchase of a DoM medal of which the clasp I was not so happy about, can any one out there please try and confirm if it is... I know that the inside of the clasp would also play a vital role...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10456

• sahpa2000
  • Never, ever, ever give up!!!
  • Thank you received: 29
Hi Mike,
I should have been more specific in my details, the medal purchase was a disc bought and became a restoration project, of which I confirmed all the clasps.
Even the purchase of the clasp was from a very reliable person. Even now I continued with the transaction, because I had a comparison picture that confirmed the clasp as good. My concerns was the clasp not being so straight... Please view another attached confirmation from a Sphinx auction sold DoM medal.
Regards
Eric de Jager(SAHPA2000)
South African History Protection Association
Since 2000

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10458

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Hi Eric,

I have had a long look at the DoM clasps in your two photos. The one in the lower image looks good to me but the upper clasp does not look quite right. Clasps can become a little bent over time but what I am most concerned about on the clasp is the width of the left, top and right borders. They are not what I would expect. Now it could be that this was caused by a production variation or some other reason.

If it was me, I would probably wait for a better quality DoM clasp because, as you say, the clasp on its own is not cheap and you will want the medal to be above suspicion.

Hope that helps
David
Dr David Biggins

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10483

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Eric
I have had a look at two Def of Maf's at hand (TG and ASC) and the top and bottom alignment of the letters is ruler straight and the "e" is not cocked slightly as in one of the pics. As David says, it could be a production variation.
IL.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10484

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Dear All
Sorry, I meant to put this on the bottom of the previous. In my first era of QSA collecting (roughly 73-93) I have to say that I never saw a clasp of the unofficial type (i.e., with the bunched letters). Only illustrations of same in books. So I would hazard a guess that they were not available in OZ when the QSA was actually worn. Even now they are somewhat unusual. I don't have any.
IL.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 11 months ago #10906

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
A DoK QSA is currently on sale on eBay . What sparked my interest was the DoK clasp and the fact that it is named to the South Lancs Regt (not known for their participation in the siege). A quick check verified that he was not an omission from my book and instead that he earned the CC and OFS clasps only (WO100/168p263 refers).

His 5 clasp medal for sale (buy it now (not a recommendation!) at £560) contains an additional three clasps all of which are copies:

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds