TOPIC:

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 months 2 weeks ago #90297

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (1) Transvaal (Capt: G. J. Dickson, Wilts: Rgt:) engraved naming;
British War and Victory Medals (Major. G. J. Dickson.)

Graham Joseph Dickson was born on 29 April 1863, the son of Major-General E. J. Dickson, 91st Foot, of The Green, Castletown, Isle of Man, and Lucy Mylrea Quayle. Educated at King William’s College, Isle of Man, and then at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, he joined the Wiltshire Regiment in 1884 as Lieutenant. He spent some time in India on secondment with the Indian Staff Corps prior to serving in the Boer War with the 1st Battalion. He was promoted to Captain in 1893, and then to Major in August 1902, before retiring in May 1903.

Dickson was recalled to service with the Wiltshire Regiment during the Great War, and served on the Western Front from January 1917. As he was now 53 years of age and part of the Reserve of Officers, he was seconded to a more administrative role as a Railway Transportation Officer. He died in 1948.

QSA (1) listed on WO100/197p394

He signed the roll page himself

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 months 2 weeks ago #90298

• Clive Stone
  • Thank you received: 40
Thank you David
Good to see the detail and the continuing active WW1 service and that he lived to a good age
Clive

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 9 months 1 week ago #90890

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
This seems to be the most appropriate place to post this. Anyone who recognises my name will know that I have a great interest in the Wiltshire Regiment and I wanted to share with the forum that I am very proud to say that my first book is finished. It is a military history entitled "War on the Veldt" with a sub-title of "The Anglo-Boer War Experiences of the Wiltshire Regiment".

It is intended that the book will be published by The Rifles, Berkshire and Wiltshire Museum, Salisbury with all proceeds going to the Museum, so I'll soon be visiting to arrange publication.

This book, which covers every day from mobilisation in 1899 to returning home in 1903, is the result of many years of research and contains previously unpublished first-hand accounts of life on Campaign and experiences of battle.

There are sixteen chapters, including maps and photographs and there are eleven annexes covering the following subjects:

Medal Rolls, Mentioned in Despatches, Mounted Infantry, Volunteer Service Company, 3rd (Militia) Battalion, Attached Personnel, Accidental Deaths, Court Martials, The situation in South Africa (Which gives a perspective on why the Regiment and Great Britain engaged in the war), 64 Officer biographies detailing there service up to 1899 and a collection of photographs.

I have included the medal rolls for Mounted Infantry, Volunteers, 3rd Battalion and all personnel attached from other Regiments, which will appeal greatly to both historians and medal collectors alike.

This project is incredibly important to me as my Great Grandfather was 3629 Pte John 'Jack' Heath who served with the Regiment's D Company in South Africa and who was taken Prisoner of War at Rensburg Siding, near Colesberg, Northern Cape on Valentine's Day 1900 and held briefly at Watervaal near Pretoria. I am proud to say that I now know where he was and what he was doing on every day of his time in South Africa and hope that 'War on the Veldt' will be seen as a fitting tribute to the men of The Wiltshire Regiment who fought in the Anglo-Boer War.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Dave F, Moranthorse1, Sturgy

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 9 months 1 week ago #90891

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Congratulations on the completion of the book, will keep a look out for when it is published
Regards

Gavin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 9 months 1 week ago #90896

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
Thank you Gavin. I will make a further announcement when the book becomes available from the Museum website.

Ian

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 9 months 1 week ago #90912

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 274
Congratulations Ian; I look forward to getting a copy of the book!

Is it your Great Grandfather on the cover of the book?
Speak my name so that I may live again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds