TOPIC:

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 1 year 6 months ago #86049

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531

Picture courtesy of Wallis and Wallis

Described as:

QSA 5 clasps CC, OFS, Trans, SA01, SA02 (5635 Pte C Blake Wilts Regt) VF, clasps confirmed on roll
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 1 year 5 months ago #87285

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of Charterhouse Auctions

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen (2871 Pte J Drewitt 2nd Wiltshire Regiment)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 1 year 5 months ago #87296

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Sharterhouse Auctions

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal (5209 Pte F Wells Wiltshire Regiment)[
KSA (2) (5209 Pte F Wells Wiltshire Regiment.

Charterhouse auctions state that he was wounded by an explosion at Stryport 19th July 1901.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 1 year 5 months ago #87297

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Charterhouse Auctions

QSA (1) Cape Colony (2160 Sgt E Walkley 2nd Wiltshire Regiment),

Killed in action 14 February 1900.at Rensburg.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 1 year 5 months ago #87312

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
As you will see above, David has recently posted images of QSA medals belonging to four men:

5635 Pte C Blake
5209 Pte F Wells
2871 Pte J Drewitt
2160 Sgt E Walkley

I can tell you that 2871 Pte J Drewitt was also awarded a King's South Africa Medal with two claps - SA1901 and SA1902.

Any of you who recognise my name and have read the very first post in this thread will know that I am writing a book about the Wiltshire's service during the Boer War. It is nearly finished, but these thing take time.

A full account of what happened at Rensburg on the 14th of February 1900 appears in the book. My own Great Grandfather was 3629 Pte John Heath D Company, and one of those taken prisoner here and later held at Watervaal. I must photograph his medals and share here. I can tell you that 2160 Sgt E Walkley was a Sergeant serving in D Company. I will share what happened to him from the book:

A certain amount of confusion began to set in and by now a portion of the mix of both companies began to leave the track and make towards some hills on the right of the road. Others kept straight on and made for some rising ground near the railway lines, thus partially splitting the force. As he hurried the troops on 2160 Sergeant E Walkley of D Company was shot in the right arm, left leg and then head before falling.

The following is taken from a letter written to his wife by 3860 Pte J Amor of D Company:

“I was marching in the front rank of D Company and several of us were sent forwards to act as scouts. My pal Arthur Pressley (2537 Pte A Pressley) was next to me in line then a few yards to my right as we moved forward. Firing started at the rear of us and lines by sections were ordered. We marched on for a while then came the order to double. Then it seemed like more and more men behind me began firing, starting at first with G Company at the rear and eventually all along D Company. As we moved on we seemed to be getting fired upon from several directions. This is when we started to separate, some leaving the railway track making for some higher ground to the right and some of us going straight on. I saw Sgt Walkley hurrying the lads on, then get hit in the right arm, left leg and then head poor fellow, he was a good man and a good Sergeant I had great respect for; seeing his death was horrible and will haunt me for all my life. Then worst of all for me I saw poor Arthur shot about fifty feet away from me and behind me I saw Pte Johnson of G Company (3013 Pte C Johnson) shot too. He was standing defiantly returning fire, shot after shot, he was a good marksman, but was cut down in a hail of bullets. That truly was scary my dear, I literally felt bullets whizzing past my head and body; it made several of us dive on the ground, I saw Pte Swinden get shot (1694 Pte P Swinden) causing three or four blokes to fall over him”.

Pte Amor was taken prisoner and held at Watervaal, from where he sent this letter. He would later die there of Enteric Fever on the 25th of May 1900.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 1 year 5 months ago #87319

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ians1900,

I look forward to reading a lot more about the Wiltshires in your future publication.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.792 seconds