Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 years 11 months ago #10688

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Parsloe has three entries in WO100/197, his number was 6602 he is on page 254, the main roll of the 2nd Battalion, Cape Colony, Wittebergen and Tranvaal, a note "SS Coy (special service company) To England 10/4/01, his name is crossed out on this, the medal was from page 301.
He is on their supplementary roll, page 328 for the SA01 clasp, a note, "Special Reserve Coy Now To England"
He is also on page 301, the Volunteer Company Wiltshire roll for his QSA and three clasps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JustinLDavies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 years 11 months ago #10689

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Many thanks Frank, indeed VSC.

justin

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 years 11 months ago #10709

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
6602 Pte A PARSLOE was indeed a member of the 2nd Wiltshire Volunteer Battalion (Special Service Company). The Special Service Company (Actually a Composite Company of Volunteers from the two Wiltshire Volunteer Battalions) left Southampton on board the troopship SS Gascon (The same transport which carried the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment to South Africa in December 1899) on 17 February 1900.

Between 4 April and 19 May 1900, the Regiment was in camp at Bloemfontein. On 14 April the Company under the command of Captain Lord Radnor, Viscount Folkestone arrived. Their strength was:

Officers x3 C.Sgt Instr x1 Sgts x3 L/Sgts x2 Cpls x3 L/Cpls x5 Dr x2 Ptes x90

The names of the Subaltern Officers were Lieut Kendle and Lieut Luce. The men were regularly attested and their engagement was for one year or for the duration of the War. The Officers were given temporary Rank in the Army. The volunteers fought with distinction as I Company, alongside the regular troops and were viewed as a great asset.

In September 1900, the Regiment was at Watervaal where the following Brigade Order was read:

Brigade Order No 3 d/12/10/00
“It is with great regret that the Commanding Officer bids farewell to the Special Service Company. They were at the very commencement of their Service in South Africa handicapped by the illness of their energetic Captain Lord Radnor. Since Bloemfontein in May they have been almost continually on the march and have been in several actions. In all cases they have shown that they were indeed worthy and gallant members of the Wiltshire Regiment. At Bethlehem, at Slabberts Nek and again at Slapkrantz they were under heavy fire and acquitted themselves to the admiration of all ranks. The Commanding Officer feels that where all ranks have done as well, it is hard indeed to select any one in particular, but cannot pass over without expressing his thanks to them the excellent services rendered to the Regiment by Lt Kendle, Lt Luce and C.S Yardly. He feels certain Lt Col Carter fully appreciates the services rendered by the Company and would wish to announce in the above remarks and to express his regret that I Company ceases to exist.”

On 13 October I Company moved to Pietersburg, prior to leaving for England. Although the volunteers left the Regiment on that date, it wasn’t util 14 April 1901, that they left South Africa on board the troopship Tagus. It arrived in Southampton on 30 April 1901.

I do not know what the Volunteers were doing in the six month period between leaving the Regiment and leaving South Africa. I would be very interested to hear if anyone knows this information.

Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, JustinLDavies

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 years 11 months ago #10710

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Ian,

Many thanks for the very detailed and interesting information. If I find any more I'll let you know.

have their service papers survived?

Best wishes,

Justin

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 years 11 months ago #10711

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
Thank you Justin,you're very welcome.

I thought it would be nice to give you a little more information about Parsloe and the Special Service Company and in doing so I realised that I'd never actually looked into this six month period. I would think it strange for them to be idling about somewhere for that long, especially in early 1901. I do not know if their service papers survived.

Regards

Ian

Medals to the Wiltshire Regiment 10 years 11 months ago #10784

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would think and indeed hope that some papers will have survived for members of this unit in WO96.

JustinLDavies wrote: Ian,

Many thanks for the very detailed and interesting information. If I find any more I'll let you know.

have their service papers survived?

Best wishes,

Justin

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds