TOPIC:

Charles Dewar Davison 6 years 9 months ago #54123

• HavilahResearch
  • HavilahResearch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning,
Researching Charles Dewar Davison (born 1877 Victoria, Australia - died 1922 Queensland Australia) I came across his name on this website.
Davison Charles Dewar - Trooper - Served 07 Mar 1900 to 15 Jan 1901. No. 5 Co. Discharged Niuberg completion of service
Source: Nominal roll in WO127 - Border Horse

There is a little bit of information about him here but would like to know how to find out more.
Can someone tell me if there are proper military records still in existence? Are these records solely kept at the National Archive (in Kew?).or can I also view them online, and if so where? If these records exist what can I expect to find in them?

Kind regards
RR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Dewar Davison 6 years 9 months ago #54125

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Welcome RR.......

I had better get my glasses fixed........
I looked up Davidson not Davison.......
Sorry......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Charles Dewar Davison 6 years 9 months ago #54126

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
RR
Henry Davison is shown as No.31, Private, on 2 Section, A Coy., 6th Regiment NSW Imperial Bushmen. The OzBoer database shows your man was promoted Sgt on 3/10/1900. He was born during 1875 in Tandragee, County Armagh, Ireland. Apparently Davison served as the Regimental Chemist.
His QSA medal was entitled to bear the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Rhodesia and South Africa 1901. Interestingly, the medal roll shows some question as to his Regimental number; 129 or 31?
Many of the Imperial Bushmen were initially issued with no clasp medal; the clasp entitlement to be forwarded later. Sometimes, the clasps and the medal never got together. The medal roll for Henry Davison shows his four clasps (and presumably the dated clasp as well) were returned 22/7/1913.
Despair not! Henry Davison's medal is possibly still out there!
Hopes this helps a bit
Regards
IL.

Charles Dewar Davison 6 years 9 months ago #54127

• HavilahResearch
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
No problem! It could have been Davidson as his surname has all sorts of variations over the years.
Regards
Rr

Charles Dewar Davison 6 years 9 months ago #54128

• HavilahResearch
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi IL.

Thanks for the info about Henry but I'm actually looking for Charles Dewer/Dewar Davison :)

Regards
RR

Charles Dewar Davison 6 years 9 months ago #54129

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
RR
OK, I was a bit concerned about Davison/Davidson mismatch and managed to get the wrong bloke!:sick: . The only one I could find any info about with the Davison surname was as sent earlier.
There was a "4049 Pte. Charles Davidson" with the 3rd NSW IB - but no details found on OzBoer. Page 7 of the medal roll for 3rd NSWIB shows "4049 Charles Davidson" as being entitled to clasps Cape Colony and Transvaal with that unit. Marginal endorsements include "issued 2/5/06 to Melbourne" and indicating the medal came from the Border Horse roll. There are a couple of other marginal remarks I could not decipher.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HavilahResearch

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds