Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G. - how/where to find more information on 12 years 11 months ago #358

• twr7cx
  • twr7cx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I have landed on this site on my quest for information on deceased relatives.
I'm currently living in Australia, but the relatives are all South African - one from the Anglo Boer War and two from the Great War.
I have the Queen's South Africa Medal here for "52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G.".
Can anyone please advise me on where/whom to contact in South Africa in order to find out more information on my relatives that have served? Ideally I would like to gain more information on where they served and what medals they were awarded, as I believe I may be missing a few and some clasps. Any help/pointing in the right direction is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G. - how/where to find more information on 12 years 11 months ago #359

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Evening......

Other than the obvious Mafeking, Ladysmith and Kimberly very few Town Guards got any bars for their QSA.... Some that served in other units did get some, I have 2 Grahamstown TG medals in my collection and neither has a bar.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: 52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G. - how/where to find more information on 12 years 11 months ago #360

• twr7cx
  • twr7cx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Brilliant thank you.

Any idea if there is anywhere in South Africa to request a family members service record? As I mentioned in the original post I also have two family members from the First World War. I have a British War Medal and Victory Medal for both and a 1914-15 Star for only one (not sure if there should be a 1914-15 Star for the other). With my grandparents being deceased there isn't anyone to ask, and I only have the initials and last name from the medals, but I would like there full stories or as much as I can get (what unit, where they served, etc.).

Re: 52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G. - how/where to find more information on 12 years 11 months ago #361

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning......

The best that I can do for you is to give you the following information about a professional researcher:

South African Service Records & Archives (inc. Police) - [email protected]

With regards to the WW1 medals I understand that you can find information on Ancestry.com, I have not used it myself but maybe there is another route you can take.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: 52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G. - how/where to find more information on 12 years 11 months ago #363

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello,

To add to Mike's comments. Most resources for Anglo-Boer War participants on the British side are in the UK and the WWI records are in SA.

I have written a guide to researching ABW soldiers that you may find useful.

As you will read there are some attestation papers for Town Guards at the National Archives, London. The medal rolls are at the National Archives too.

I also have a list of South African researchers if you want to 'shop around'

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: 52 PTE R. H. Ivy. Grahamstown T.G. - how/where to find more information on 12 years 11 months ago #365

• QSAMIKE
Good Afternoon.....

Yes I should have mentioned Meurig's sites as well it slipped my mind..... Sorry Meurig.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds