Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 8 years 6 months ago #42955

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Henk
I think that Jameson Raider's medals are rare and expensive because you already have most of them in your collection! Thank you for sharing another remarkable pair with us.
Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 8 years 6 months ago #42960

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi Brett
Thanks for the thanks!
Hi Ryan
The last (but not least) of the medals I have to Jameson Raiders. I wish you well with your OMRS exhibit!

Cas Simpson sent me a complete biography of Newman as well as a scan of a photo that was published in the Cape Times

NEWMAN Joseph Joe. Born c1862. Resided in South Africa when his fathers regiment the 90th Foot was serving on the frontier. Enlisted 1878. Trooper, Bettington’s Horse, Zulu War 1879 and was recorded to have carried despatches for Colonel Wood. Trooper, Cape Mounted Rifles – 5 years service. Travelled to England for a change. Trooper, 6th Dragoon Guards. Service in India and reputed to have seen active service. Trooper, Cape Mounted Rifles. His horse fell on him during this period resulting in him being sent to Netly Hospital, London for treatment (received a Cape Government pension). Returned to South Africa. Enlisted 22.11.95. Trooper, ‘D’ Troop, Mashonaland Mounted Police, Jameson Raid 1895/96. Captured by the Boers at Doornkop, Transvaal 2.1.96. Repatriated to England from Durban aboard the Harlech Castle 24.1.96. Resided Campbell Road, Southsea c1896. Sailed from Southampton to Cape Town aboard the Harlech Castle on 28.3.96 citing his occupation as being a Prospector. Trooper, Matabeleland Relief Force, Matabele Rebellion 1896. He was described as being English c1896. Trooper, British South Africa Police. Constable, East London Police – 2 years service (1898 – 99). Anglo-Boer War; Enlisted (Cape Town) 4.12.99. Corporal, ‘A’ Squadron, Roberts Horse (No1092). Relief of Kimberley operations and subsequent actions at Paardeberg and Driefontein. Corporal, Orange River Colony Provisional Mounted Police. Killed in action during the defence of Philippolis on 25.10.1900. The Cape Times published his portrait and an article entitled “The Late Corporal J. Newman – A wonderful record”.....During the siege he was in charge of the fort garrisoned by thirty-nine men, consisting of police officials, Town Guard, and twelve natives……He was shot through the head, just as he was giving the order to commence sending volleys amongst the Boers on the second day of the siege. Father; Major F. Newman, Late 90th Foot and Officer Commanding, Army Service Corps – Netly Hospital c1901.

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Mark Abbott

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 8 years 6 months ago #42962

• Mark Abbott
  • Thank you received: 5
Henk,

These are superb!

As someone who is new to the campaigns in Southern Africa prior to the Boer War, I really appreciate seeing such quality items; thank you!.

Mark

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 8 years 6 months ago #42964

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Thanks Henk! I didn't know that Forsyth was extant and have added him to the list.

I knew of van Geene but am really pleased to see his medals. I have never actually seen a picture of the raid bar either, and will include that picture in the display.

I will post pictures on the forum as soon as it is all done!

Cheers
Ryan

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 7 years 7 months ago #48099

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of Medals of England

Cpl, Captain, Inspector. L.L.BALLANTINE-DYKES. SALISBURY HORSE (Chief of Matabeleland (BULAWAYO) Police)

This is just about the finest British South Africa Company Medal you could imagine. Not only is the medal 'Gem Mint State' and on it's original ribbon, but it's perhaps the most important medal of its type to surface in at least the past 25 years. We have looked back over auction records from about 1995 and we have found three other recorded 'JAMESON RAIDERS' which have all been sold by DNW. Two in their 24th June 2009 sale (Lots 889 & 898) were the medal to Sgt Maj, St J.H. WAGSTAFFE and the pair to Mr L.H. BALDWIN.These medals finally hammered at £1700 & £3500 respectively, plus commission. (c,£2040 & £4200) The third medal to Cpl E.C. ADAMS (Lot 1298 of 26th June 2014) brought £3000 plus commission (c,£3400)

[BIOGRAPHY]
LAWSON LEIGH BALLANTINE-DYKES. Lawson Leigh Ballantine Dykes. J.P. was born into an old aristocratic family on 30th October 1864, at the family seat at Isel Hall, Cumberland, England. He was gazetted to be Lt in 3rd Bn Border Regt / 30th April 1886 (age 22) published in the London Gazette of 11th of May 1886. AN EXTRAORDINARY "JAMESON RAIDER"
He Emigrated to Rhodesia in the early 1890's and joined 'The Salisbury Horse' in 1896 as a Corporal and later as an Inspector in the Mashonaland Mounted Police, and as the Commander of the JAMESON RAID "B" Troop, the then Captain L.L. Ballantine-Dykes took part in the infamous Jameson Raid (1895-96) and the Matabele Campaign (1896). He retired as Chief of the Matabeleland Police. In his younger years he played cricket for Cumberland. And upon returning to England he served on the bench as a Justice of The Peace.

Survived by his wife Mrs Ballantine-Dykes of The Red House, Keswick. He died age 81 on 29th September 1945 at Llangar, Crowthorne, Berkshire, England.
A QUITE EXCEPTIONAL & HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT MEDAL TO ONE OF THE ORIGINAL & MOST IMPORTANT RHODESIAN SETTLERS WHO WAS TRULY ONE OF THE ORIGINAL SONS OF RHODESIA.
£3750 (Part-Exchanges Welcome)

It is not clear how the medal is named. The roll has the rank of Inspector.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

The Jameson Raid : Captors, Captives and Others 6 years 5 months ago #56108

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=192239666253&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.896 seconds