Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59028

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
I have downloaded the roll -thanks for the hint but I cannot find a Lieut N.McKenzie on it as a member of RAAFFS Column so I have lost interest in the medal-thanks once again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59031

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You should certainly go out and buy an example, perhaps not the one you mention, although, sadly these days it has become necessary to almost seek a mortgage to actually do so, it is certainly one of the most attractive medals ever made, the obverse of Her Majesty is, at least, realistic!

Georgegt351 wrote: I have always been interested in this medal and have never owned one in my nearly 50 years of being interested and collecting medals-I have always liked the design aspects of the medal even though the obverse is not the most flattering of Queen Vic. I have spotted a medal withe the Matabele 1893 reverse to a Lieut N McNamara of Raaffs Column can anybody verify this medal as Ancestry has not proved any use to me.

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59032

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
George,

There are 2 McNamaras on the roll but neither sound like your man.

Did you have a chance to examine the medal at all? It would be interesting to know about the naming.
Dr David Biggins

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59034

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
The medal is on Ebay.US item 142815485535 and there are some good photo's of the naming-there is a comment that it came from a Wallis and Wallis auction in the 1990's and there was some alteration to the rank-although the photo's are quite good I couldn't quite make out if the rim was a bit thinner where the rank Lieut was engraved.

I am ultra conservative where this particular medal is concerned as I read somewhere there was a break-in at the Zimbabwe Mint many years ago and several un-named examples were stolen- can anybody confirm this story?

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59037

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Georgegt351 wrote: I am ultra conservative where this particular medal is concerned as I read somewhere there was a break-in at the Zimbabwe Mint many years ago and several un-named examples were stolen- can anybody confirm this story?

George......

There is a member of our society here in Calgary who is a collector of this medal and was also a member of the BSAP when the theft of the un-named medals took place and he mentions that it was over 100 of the medals went missing but not from the mint but from a military office instead......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Georgegt351

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59038

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
George,

I have not seen many examples of the naming of this medal to officers.

I checked the roll for N McKenzie and came up blank again.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds