TOPIC:

Spink auctions 4 years 8 months ago #65140

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Munroe,

It has certainly been an amazing couple of years for QSAs and for South African QSAs in particular. The breadth of material has been outstanding and surely as you say this feast cannot continue for too much longer. We must enjoy it while we can for the supply may dry up all too quickly.

The sales have re-focused my attentions on South African units and TGs in particular and that has made for very enjoyable research opportunities.

Best wises
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spink auctions 4 years 8 months ago #65159

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David
Thank you for all the work you recently put into recording and analysing QSA records. When I saw the Spink list I thought that a flooded market would leave many Lots unsold, so it is encouraging to see that did not happen.
Regards
Brett

Spink auctions 4 years 8 months ago #65211

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Meurig,
Quite frankly, I buy very little these days, I sometimes wonder why I collect, but, every now and again a chance comes to fill a gap, be it nineteenth or twentieth century, the last QSA I bought was to a member of the 10th Mountain Battery, which had always been missing from my Natal collection, although, I have to say that actually having it is rather an anti-climax when compared to the chase.
Regards Frank

SWB wrote: Indeed, there is always regret at "the one(s) that got away", but IL's buses are a very good coping mechanism.

I find that after buying a medal, which usually follows sufficient research to justify the purchase, you then quickly look ahead to the next purchase before the first medal has even arrived! My current purchase from Spinks are the case in point.

This has led me to wonder why I buy medals when it seems that research is the real stimulant; no one needs to own the medal to do the research and get the satisfaction of uncovering "new" information.

[/quote]

Thanks Frank, yes I can say there is enjoyment and pondering further on being a custodian; I have enjoyed putting mini collections together to illustrate themes; South Wales Borderers, casualties, defenders of Mafeking, British cavalry "odd men", Wepener, O'Okiep. Most of these have been the subject of talks to Sussex Branch OMRS, an enjoyable activity.[/quote]

Spink auctions 4 years 3 weeks ago #68553

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The catalogue for the next Spink sale is now available: www.spink.com/auction/20001
Dr David Biggins

Spink auctions 4 years 3 weeks ago #68565

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Interesting estimates on a lot of those QSA’s.

Spink auctions 4 years 4 days ago #68871

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Not a good time for your system to be unavailable :(
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds