Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #5136

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Iain
I have it on the bookshelf, will have a look when I get home.
Did you get the "Ladysmith" book?

Paul :)

iaindh wrote: Hi all,

on the cover of Thomas Packenham's "The Boer war" there is a famous picture of a mounted unit; can anyone identify the unit. I have it in my mind that it is the Life Guards but I'm not certain.

Thanks,

Iain

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #5137

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Paul,

yes I received it just the other day; the mail is so sloooooow in SA. 7 days from Durban to Joburg....... I'm sure it was quicker in the ABW!!! :P
I had a quick glance through the pics and got a nice taster. I shall get my teeth into it soon! :) :cheer:
rgds
Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #5138

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

iaindh wrote: Hi all,

on the cover of Thomas Packenham's "The Boer war" there is a famous picture of a mounted unit; can anyone identify the unit. I have it in my mind that it is the Life Guards but I'm not certain.

Thanks,
Iain

I also have this book and the Illustrated version but I cannot get to them right now either.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #5139

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
From the book, I cannot reference the cover picture :S

Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #5141

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Iain
Jacket illustration:
Leicester Mounted Infantry,Part of General Yule's column,retreating to Ladysmith,26th October 1899.
Photograph by Horace Nicholls,Royal Photographic Society.

Paul :)

iaindh wrote: From the book, I cannot reference the cover picture :S

Iain

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #5142

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Paul,
General Yule left Dundee on the 23rd and what I always found surprising, the Boers made no real effort to stop him.
By the morning of the 25th he was crossing the Sunday's River and was met by Col Dartnell, who had been sent out from Ladysmith by Sir George White, he told Yule in no uncertain terms to keep marching.
So Yule had little choice but to carry on through the night of the 25th-26th, it was pouring with rain and the road had become a muddy quagmire, by daybreak, he still had another seven miles left to march, not good! :(
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds