Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Scottish Horse Memorial in Edinburgh 10 years 11 months ago #10237

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Iain, (apologies for the typo)

The info comes from the Pictorial History of the Transvaal Scottish. But most of this stuff was drummed into my head when I was an NCO in the Transvaal Scottish. Macloed had a really colourful career spanning from the Sudan in 1898 to Abyssinia in WWII.

Cheers,

Mark

iaindh wrote: Hi Mark,

many thanks for filling in all the gaps and for the pocket history of the early years of the TS. I dont know where you got your information from but I find it very difficult to fill in a lot of the missing pieces as accounts seem to vary and I was doing it from memory.
Sorry for my own inaccuracies.

Incidentally my name is Iain as in the Gaelic spelling of Ian.

regards

Mark Wilkie wrote:

iaindh wrote:
Iain

Hi Lain, the Transvaal Scottish Volunteers were established as an infantry unit to support the Scottish Horse in 1902. They were already well established by the disbandment of the SH in 1907. See the photo of C & D Coys of the Transvaal Scottish Volunteers with C & D Squadrons of the [SA] SH at Frederickstad Camp in 1904. The Transvaal Scottish were awarded Natal 1906 battle honours for their service in the Natal Rangers during the 1906 Zulu uprising. The SH served as part of the Transvaal Mounted Rifles during the 1906 campaign. The Cycle Coy of the TSV would become the Transvaal Cycle & Motor Corps [later Rand Light Infantry] in 1905. The TSV were commanded by Lt Col Gordon Sandilands from 1902-1908. WOI Donald Macleary Macloed DCM was the first RSM (1902-1905 & 1908-1912). As Lt Col DM Macloed DSO MC DCM he commanded the TS Regiment from 1920-1923 and had commanded 4 SAI (SA Scottish) from July 1916 to the end of WWI where he went on to command 2Bn Hampshire Regt during Archangel in support of the White Russians before returning to South Africa in 1920 where he took over command of the TS Regiment. The TSV became the TS Regiment in 1913.

Cheers,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scottish Horse Memorial in Edinburgh 10 years 9 months ago #11935

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Brett,
I am not sure if this reply is still required but I have just recently visited Edinburgh castle and thought I would take a pic of the Memorial.
Unfortunately the stands are being built for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo so I was unable to gain access so these are from a distance.
Hope they are of use.

Paul :)

Brett Hendey wrote: In my continuing project on the Native Scouts of Natal, I consulted a paper by John Lambert who is, or was an Associate Professor of History at the University of South Africa. It includes the following statement:
"Ironically, the only acknowledgement of the role of the Native Scouts is not in South Africa but in Britain, where the memorial to the Scottish Horse outside the castle in Edinburgh includes the names of four African scouts killed in action."

I wonder if anyone reading this post has a photograph of this memorial and, more particularly, a photograph that shows the names of these men?

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Scottish Horse Memorial in Edinburgh 10 years 9 months ago #11954

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Many thanks, Paul. It was good of you to remember.

Regards
Brett

Scottish Horse Memorial in Edinburgh 10 years 9 months ago #11965

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I think this is one of the most pleasing memorials that you can see in the country today.

Scottish Horse Memorial in Edinburgh 10 years 9 months ago #11971

• coldstream
Hello Brett,

No problem, sorry I was unable to get closer :(

Brett Hendey wrote: Many thanks, Paul. It was good of you to remember.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Scottish Horse Memorial in Edinburgh 10 years 9 months ago #11972

• coldstream
Frank,
I think the simplicity of the Celtic cross makes this a pleasing memorial.

Frank Kelley wrote: Gentlemen,
I think this is one of the most pleasing memorials that you can see in the country today.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.689 seconds