Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41874

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 350

Le Petit Journal - 17 Decembre 1899
"La Guerre au Transvaal - Ambulances indiennes"
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41875

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Patrick
Thank you for sharing the lead to another NVAC QSA. Presumably, Kershaw went on to serve in another unit to qualify for the OFS, Tvl and LN clasps. The asking price converts to about ZAR5100, which is probably a new South African record price for a NVAC QSA. I expect that if the Greeks reintroduce the Drachma, it will have parity with the ZARand.

Justin
That is a very interesting photograph. I have not seen one like it before now. There may be such photos amongst the local press reports recently copied by a dealer in Pietermaritzburg.

Regards to you both.
Brett

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41876

• Brett Hendey
David
I did not mean to exclude you from my thanks. Your post and my last one were more or less simultaneous. I am grateful to you for this addition to my Ambulance Corps file.
Regards
Brett

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41878

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A really superb image, they appear to have been a very mixed bag.

JustinLDavies wrote: Dear all,

Here is a rare photograph of the 'Body Snatchers', titled 'Uitlander Corps at Colenso' and taken from the Black and White Budget of 3 February 1900.

Best,

Justin

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41929

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Afternoon Brett,
You have left me rather confused, I thought medals had a rather international price these days, what do such medals sell for in South Africa?
Are they really significantly cheaper?
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Patrick
Thank you for sharing the lead to another NVAC QSA. Presumably, Kershaw went on to serve in another unit to qualify for the OFS, Tvl and LN clasps. The asking price converts to about ZAR5100, which is probably a new South African record price for a NVAC QSA. I expect that if the Greeks reintroduce the Drachma, it will have parity with the ZARand.

Justin
That is a very interesting photograph. I have not seen one like it before now. There may be such photos amongst the local press reports recently copied by a dealer in Pietermaritzburg.

Regards to you both.
Brett

QSA to a Leader in the NVAC 8 years 10 months ago #41933

• Brett Hendey
Frank
I think there are differences in the prices of British medals in various countries, even though the MYB is the universal guide, and the British market is the benchmark setter. For example, it is my impression that Australians pay little attention to the MYB standard when it comes to attaching values to QSA's and KSA's (and other medals) to Australian regiments.

The main point I had hoped to make with my post was the effect of the weak ZAR on medal prices. Collectors from elsewhere can pick up bargains on the SA market, and the opposite applies to S Africans buying on, say, the British market. If I wanted to bid on Violet Szabo's medals, my starting offer would have to be of the order of ZAR5.8 million, which seems a shockingly high amount compared to GBP300,000.

It is a long time since GBP1 = ZAR2. Now it is nearing GBP1 = ZAR20. There is nothing to suggest that the situation will improve. In fact, SA could well follow the example of Zimbabwe.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.777 seconds