Medals to the Army Pay Department (APD) 9 years 9 months ago #23499

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718

Picture courtesy of Spink

CMG b/b;
QSA (3) Cape Colony, Relief of Ladysmith, South Africa 1901, date clasp loose on riband (Lt: Col: F.G. Hamley, C.M.G., A.P.D.)

CMG London Gazette 23.4.1901 Major Francis Gilbert Hamley, Army Pay Department: 'In recognition of service during the operations in South Africa up to the 29th November 1900.'

Colonel Francis Gilbert Hamley, born February 1851, the son of General Hamley, C.B.; educated at St. John's College, Auckland, New Zealand; Commissioned Lieutenant, Royal Cornwall Rangers (Militia), February 1872; transferred to the Control Department, September 1873; appointed Paymaster, Army Pay Department, September 1881; promoted Major, September 1891; Staff Paymaster, August 1896; served with the A.P.D. in South Africa, Mentioned in Sir Redvers Buller's Despatches for the Relief of Ladysmith (London Gazette 8.2.1901) and appointed a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George; advanced Lieutenant-Colonel and Chief Paymaster, 7.8.1901; Colonel, 9.5.1904; retired, 1.2.1911; died, 14.9.1918.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Army Pay Department (APD) 9 years 9 months ago #23500

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I was curious about his MID. The entry for the APD reads:

Army Pay Department-Colonel W Mortimer, chief paymaster, has rendered most valuable assistance; of great experience and sound judgment, his advice has been most valuable, while his energy and knowledge have, I hope, been proved by the regularity with which he has rendered his accounts; I recommend his good work for favourable consideration. Lieutenant Colonel R Ireland has been Senior Field Paymaster throughout, and has rendered good and valuable service. Major F G Hamley has done excellent work as Colonel Mortimer's senior assistant. Captain J O'Hara has been Chief Cash Officer throughout, and has discharged bis duty in a thoroughly good and business-like manner. 1st Class Staff Sergeant Major H Yates and Staff Sergeant Major H George deserve consideration.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Army Pay Department (APD) 1 month 4 weeks ago #96171

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (0) Cape Colony (C. P. C. Hemphill. A.P.D.)

Charles Percy Chisholm Hemphill was born in Bengal in 1873, the son of Lieutenant Charles William Hemphill, 26th Regiment of Foot, and served as a Clerk in the Army Pay Department during the Boer War.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds