Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the FID 3 years 8 months ago #71225

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Sorry do not have Middleton but have this one Mellett…..

1437 MELLETT, J.
REG. NO.: N/A
REGT: FIELD INTELLIGNCE DEPARTMENT
BARS: ORANGE FREE STATE, SOUTH AFRICA 1902

Also:

1705 LAWN J.R.
REG. NO.: N/A
REGT: FIELD INTELLIGNCE DEPARTMENT
BARS: NONE AS ISSUED

No Photo Yet......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the FID 3 years 5 months ago #72551

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Three FID KSAs in the next Noble Numismatics auction:

Scout J W Legge. F.I.D. Also served DrSc and CTH
Agent G Taylor. F.I.D.
Scout H C Walters. F.I.D. Also served CMSC and NSWIB
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the FID 3 years 5 months ago #72553

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Chris Dixon is advertising the KSA (2) to Lt G Roy, FID.

There is a Sgt G E Roy on the Natal Guides roll with clasps Belfast and a note about service in the FID where a 5 clasp medal was issued and service in the 31st Co ASC.

The ASC roll gives Belfast, OFS and LN.

The FID roll gives Belfast, Elandslaagte, TH, RoL and LN.

It is not clear how he earned all of these clasps.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the FID 3 years 1 month ago #75495

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) Cape Colony, South Africa 1901 (Agent R. R. Higham. F.I.D.)

Verified on the roll (WO100/301p98). No other service identified.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the FID 3 years 1 month ago #75497

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
From my old collection; obtained from Stan Kaplan 3/75 (those were the days!) and went with the rest of that collection to Spink (Aust) about two decades later.. In those days, medals to the F.I.D. were almost never seen here. Querying the role of an "Agent", Stan told me that it denoted a part-time Colonial.
Hope the new owner enjoys it.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the FID 3 years 1 week ago #75935

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

BSACM reverse undated (1) Mashonaland 1890 (Tpr. Baker, W. H. V. - Pioneers.);
QSA (5) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (Lt. W. V. Baker, F.I.D.);
KSA (2) (Lieut: W. V. Baker. F.I.D.);
British War and Victory Medals (Capt. W. V. H. Baker. A.I.F.)

Walter Headland Valentine Baker was born on 15 February 1862 at Oamaru, Waitaki, Otago, New Zealand. He served in the Mashonaland 1890 campaign in the Pioneers and was mentioned in the diary of Captain 'Skipper' Hoste:

'On July 23rd we had a capsize. I was doing rear guard with my troop, when Major Johnson rode up and told me to scrape up all the old sailors that I could find, as the wagon that carried the engine and boiler belonging to the electric searchlight had capsized crossing a donga. I accordingly left Beal in charge of the troops and, taking my brother Derick and a man called Valentine Baker, both old sailors, I went on to 'C' Troop where I borrowed the machine guns' crews, who were all sailors. We then went on to the wagon which we found with its wheels uppermost. We then turned to and cut down three large straight trees-fortunately there were plenty close by-and rigged up some sheer-legs. In a short time we had the wagon the right side up again, and found that the only damage done was a slight crack in the smokestack, which had been unshipped and lashed alongside the boiler. That was about the only serious capsize we had during the whole trip, though Sandy Tulloch and his Gardner gun used to capsize in about five sluits out of every ten. His idea was to rush them. In theory the idea was probably good, but in practice it generally ended in a capsize.'

Baker latterly served in the Boer War, earning his 'Relief of Ladysmith' clasp as a Trooper with Murray's Horse. The Queen's South Africa Medal Roll was signed off by the Field Intelligence Department, with whom he was commissioned to serve with. His entry on the King's South Africa Medal Roll shows later service with the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles.

Upon the outbreak of the Great War, Baker volunteered for service in 1915 with Australian Forces. He slashed six years off his age - stating he was a sprightly 47 - and was initially posted with 'F' Company, 4th Infantry Battalion with the Tropical Force stationed at Rabaul from November 1915 (no entitlement to 1914-15 Star for this Theatre). Taken sick, he was invalided in February 1916, but recovered and was posted to the 34th Infantry for service in France. Having served as a Captain from 1 August 1916, he was again sick with influenza and pleurisy at Armentieres in October 1916. Baker was permanently discharged in November 1917, the board commenting that whilst his stated age was 48 he 'appears much older'.

He took discharge in England, his address shown as the Devonshire Club. By 1922 A.M.F. Base Records state his last known address in 1922 as W&T Avery Ltd. of the Soho Factory, Birmingham, England in response to a request from Bon Marche of Perth from 1919 who had supplied his uniform & 'other items' on the eve of his departure but had 'failed to call in and settle his account'. He is understood to have settled in Selly Oak and died in the early 1930s.

His wife, some 24 years his junior, returned to Australia and died at Scarborough, Queensland in September 1975. Their only son, Barrie Baker, was killed in the Battle of Britain. Having seen action in the Fall of France with No. 264 Squadron, he was based at Hornchurch by August 1940. On 26 August Baker was flying with Flight Lieutenant A. J. Banham in Defiant L6985. Having just destroyed a Do17 over Thanet when they were attacked and shot down by Me109's off Herne Bay. Banham baled out but Baker was never found.

Sold for a hammer price of £3,200. Totals (inc VAT on the commission for the UK only): £3,968. R77,200. Au$6,950. Can$6,640. US$5,300
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds