Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Kitchener's Horse 2 months 1 week ago #96033

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1583
To follow on from the previous ............
The reference to 1st NSWMR in Stirling re activities of KH led me to look in Droogleever's "Five Good Squadrons" (an excellent history of one of IL's favourite regiments) which ties things down a bit regarding Tpr. W. Mitchell's activities and also those of KH.
Ch.26 (On the trail of Christiaan De Wet, September - October 1900) tells us that De Lisle resumed command of 2nd M.I. corps at Kopjes Station (OFS) on 18th September 1900. There NSWMR were joined by KH (many of them raw recruits who had seen no fighting). In welcoming KH, De Lisle stated that " they were joining the finest fighting brigade in SA".
NSWMR felt dubious about KH and their fighting capacity (probably a bit unfair) but by the 24th September, KH were in trouble, a detail was ambushed near Heilbron (OFS) by the Boers and had to fight their way out , losing one killed and one wounded. There is a tie in there for you regarding Mitchell's OFS clasp on his medal..
I invite you to consider what I have posted here and give me your thoughts.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Kitchener's Horse 2 months 1 week ago #96034

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4718
Steve,

While it will not help answer your question, I looked and failed to find his attestation paper for Kitchener's Horse.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to Kitchener's Horse 2 months 1 week ago #96037

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 103
Hello Steve

Taken from the Queanbeyan Age, Saturday, November 10, 1900 page 2

Regards
Attachments:

Medals to Kitchener's Horse 2 months 1 week ago #96049

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 830
What a pity that there is not an extant attestation document for William Mitchell which could possibly have given his nationality or next of kin

However, what started off with a QSA and the 'dry' admin documentation to a man of KH who was killed in action, now begins to evolve into something far more interesting thanks to a little help from my fellow forummers!

IL---The reference to Stirling (which I really should use more as a resource from the forum booklist) puts us in the right area regarding his OFS clasp and reiterates that much of the force of 250 men were unblooded in battle, and being pitted against the wily De Wet. You cannot envy them.

ResearchRescue provides the letter home from Trooper George Nugent (thankfully the New South Wales boys wrote home prolifically and were suitably descriptive) which could provide the 'smoking gun'.

Incident 1---Nugent mentioned the skirmish involving 50 KH being surrounded by Boers on Monday 24th September resulting in one man killed and another (he thought) wounded. Hayward (1982) only lists Mitchell as being killed on the 24th, no mention of a wounded man.

Incident 2---this incident occurred on Sunday 23rd September, the date given on the Nominal Roll for Trooper Mitchell's death, location Vredefort. Hayward gives no casualties at all on that date. So, is this a case of dates becoming mixed up in the fog of war? It might be feasible that his body was taken back to Heilbron for burial and so delayed accurate reporting or was he buried where he fell and his remains relocated later?
More questions than answers!

The sniping incident on the 23rd is of great interest, can you imagine the anger amongst Mitchell's comrades over the slim tactics of the Boer farmer, who Nugent says may have had his come uppance by having his farm burnt down and possibly shot. In an act of vengeance or an execution under an officer's command? Such was the brutality of this 'gentleman's' war.

And what of the Boer farmer? Who was he? Where was he buried if he was shot?

IL---I absolutely agree with you that KH, SALH need their regimental histories and biographical information to be set down for posterity. KH would take a few years to complete and would make a very worthwhile retirement project. They were composed of a rich and varied sample of men, Rory's Jameson Raider, C.E.H.Sutherland springs immediately to mind.

My sincere thanks for your input gentlemen as always.

Medals to Kitchener's Horse 2 months 1 week ago #96050

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1227
Hi Steve
For your records

Regards

Dave..
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Medals to Kitchener's Horse 2 months 1 week ago #96060

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 830
Thank you very much Dave, I missed this! It adds another piece to his life history. With his next of kin being named Alexander, it sounds likely he may have been of Scottish ancestry.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds