Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Number of QSAs actually issued. 11 years 9 months ago #4531

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Forum members; I note that the QSA entry in the 2012 edition of Medals Yearbook records that "a total of 178,000 medals were awarded" and that the same entry in BBM tells me that "approximately 177,000 medals were struck".
Clearly, neither figure runs anywhere close to the number given at the end of Appendix 13 of Vol.4 of The History of the War in South Africa (page 674 for a quick look-up). That total given is 448,435 with a proviso that the total number raised in SA was "uncertain". Yes, the Colonials swapped the old unit quite often - but most of it was picked up on the rolls. Can anyone explain the huge discrepancy between the current reference tomes and the official return? Myself,I tend to believe the official return!
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Number of QSAs actually issued. 11 years 9 months ago #4532

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello,
Are you sure the appendix to which you refer is actually quoting the number of QSA's issued? I would have thought it quotes the total number of empire forces in South Africa between 1899 and 1902 which I've always believed to be around the half a million mark.
I would expect that the number of medals issued would be far less.
Regards Frank

Re: Number of QSAs actually issued. 11 years 9 months ago #4534

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Ian,

An interesting question. I have always understood the 178,000 figure to be the number of 3rd type QSAs (ie pointing to 'F') and not to total number. I think the number of 178,000 has been mis-used to represent the total number of QSAs which must be much higher. As most of the people who took part received the QSA, I would go with a number much closer to the 400,000 mark and even a little higher.

The number of names on this site now exceeds 300,000 and, while there are quite a few duplicates in that figure, there are very few Imperial troops listed so far. The 9,000 RE QSAs are yet to be listed and then there's the other corps ...

I have looked in the records for the Royal Mint at the National Archives to try to answer this question but failed to find any conclusive evidence to support his hypothesis.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Number of QSAs actually issued. 11 years 9 months ago #4540

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
To Frank Kelly
The appendix quoted was for strength of garrison in SA on 010899 to 310502. Clearly, the huge proportion would have been entitled to at least a QSA. And then there are the Jolly Jack Tars on blockade duty, etc. I cannot see how the total of medals "would be far less". Less, certainly due to returns after wounds/sickness. I simply cannot see where the 178k came from.
Regards
IL.

David
I think you are correct in attributing the 178k figure to Type 3 QSAs. It is certainly not presented that way in MYB or BBm.
Regards
IL.

Re: Number of QSAs actually issued. 11 years 9 months ago #4541

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello again,
Okay I just wanted to establish whether or not your last quote was for the number of QSA's issued or a reference to the number of men under arms/in the payed service of the government.
I agree with you, most of these would be entitled, but a very brief look in the important decisions book shows that in many cases medals were not awarded, for example there were thousands of natives serving in units in which their officers recieved the medal and they themselves did not!

As I said, I had believed the total number of empire troops would be half a million, so 400,000 is indeed "far less" than both my 500,000 and the more exact number of 448,435 that you quoted.
Regards Frank.

LinneyI wrote: To Frank Kelly
The appendix quoted was for strength of garrison in SA on 010899 to 310502. Clearly, the huge proportion would have been entitled to at least a QSA. And then there are the Jolly Jack Tars on blockade duty, etc. I cannot see how the total of medals "would be far less". Less, certainly due to returns after wounds/sickness. I simply cannot see where the 178k came from.
Regards
IL.

David
I think you are correct in attributing the 178k figure to Type 3 QSAs. It is certainly not presented that way in MYB or BBm.
Regards
IL.

Re: Number of QSAs actually issued. 11 years 9 months ago #4542

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone......

I will be damn'd but I cannot find it right now, have been looking for about an hour maybe give it a rest but I remember reading on a site a copy of the Master of the Mint's report on how many medals were made of each type...... It also had a breakdown of how many were shipped to the different colonies.....

Will keep looking.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds