Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13906

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Congratulations Brett on Number 1000 .....

A great group of medals and a great story......

Glad it was able to fill a hole.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13911

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Brett,

Just as background which you probably already have.

His first four clasps are listed on WO100/260p75.

His SA01 clasp is on WO100/260p108 where his discharge date is given as 31 Dec 02.

Frank also served in the 1st Scottish Horse as 32 Tpr. This earned him Tr. His 5 years of service in the NC is noted and the date 24 Apr 1901 given (for his discharge). This is on WO100/268p7.

The Scottish Horse supplementary roll confirms the SA01 clasp and has the date 24 Apr 01.

From the ScH norminal roll (on the site) 32 and also 198 Frank Allerston joined A Company in Ladysmith on 7 Jan 1901 and was discharged in M'burg on 23 Apr 01 medically unfit.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13913

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
His ScH attestation paper is in WO126/122. The summary is:

Frank ALLERSTON
Discharged: Medically unfit: 24 Apr 1901
Enlisted: 7th Jan 1901, Ladysmith
Marks: Natal Canabineers Crest, right fore arm
Previous service: 5 years Natal Carabineers
Brother Allerston/Chemise? P M Burg
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13914

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
One last item. An Albert Allerston, born 20 Apr 1863, also served in the Boer War.

From the 1906 Natal Who's Who:

ALLERSTON, Albert, b. 20th April, 1863. at Maritzburg; son of F. Allerston; m. Eliztibeth Stoddart; two d. Educ. Mr. Wade's Wesleyan School, Maritzburg. Hobbies : X rays and photo graphy. Add., Chemist and Druggist, Church St., Maritzbiirg. Radiographer to H.M. Forces and Volunteer Forces during Boer War (all X ray work in Maritzburg).

There is a photo of him too.

A relative perhaps?
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13919

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Many thanks to all who commented on my Allerston post, and especially to David for supplying links to, and the content of records of Frank and his brother. (By the way, the latter was with the Natal Volunteer Medical Corps and did x-ray work at Ladysmith during the siege, so his QSA would also be a useful addition to my collection.)

In theory, my mental list of medal 'must-haves' should be getting shorter, but events keep suggesting new possibilities (e.g. Albert Allerston's QSA). This is one of the great joys of being a medal collector, even one with defined and limited interests.

The AWB Forum is a great aid to me in the pursuit of my hobby, so once again it is my thanks to all its members and especially to David as the creator and manager of the Forum.

Regards
Brett

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 10 years 7 months ago #13927

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Brett,
You were quite right, your post was not all together a complete surprise, but as for ignoring it?
Anyway, I am pleased for you, seems to have been quite a good year for you medal wise at least.
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Many thanks to all who commented on my Allerston post, and especially to David for supplying links to, and the content of records of Frank and his brother. (By the way, the latter was with the Natal Volunteer Medical Corps and did x-ray work at Ladysmith during the siege, so his QSA would also be a useful addition to my collection.)

In theory, my mental list of medal 'must-haves' should be getting shorter, but events keep suggesting new possibilities (e.g. Albert Allerston's QSA). This is one of the great joys of being a medal collector, even one with defined and limited interests.

The AWB Forum is a great aid to me in the pursuit of my hobby, so once again it is my thanks to all its members and especially to David as the creator and manager of the Forum.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds