TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 4 days ago #68405

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Evidently, should have tried for Field's group in the past

Seaby August 1970 £28. The Gazette November 1981 £375.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 11 months ago #68548

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next Spink sale:

QSA (2) Cape Colony, Wepener (212 Tpr: C. Richards. Brabant’s Horse.), minor edge nicks, bent lugs to second clasp, otherwise very fine

Estimate £70-90 :)
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 11 months ago #68549

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Also from the next Spink sale:

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 2 clasps, Cape Colony, Wepener (30 Sjt: P. Blackmore, Brabant’s Horse)

Estimate £80-120

Missing his Tr and SA01 clasps from CinCBG.

Used to be accompanied by his BWM and VM in the past :(
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 11 months ago #68559

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Twenty eight quid was certainly not an insignificant sum in 1970.

djb wrote: Evidently, should have tried for Field's group in the past

Seaby August 1970 £28. The Gazette November 1981 £375.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 11 months ago #68580

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The two Wepener QSAs in last week's Noble Numismatics auction were interesting for two reasons.

The QSA (4) CC Wep Witt Belf to Brabant;s Horse sold for a hammer price of £220, the lowest price for a Wepener QSA for some years.

Noble did change the description of the QSA (2) Wep RoL to the Colonial Scouts to state that the recipient was not entitled to the Wepener clasp. Despite this, the QSA sold for a hammer price of £425.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 3 years 11 months ago #68588

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
An interesting letter from Captain Davies, Driscoll's Scouts, dated 2 August 1900, explaining why so few of the Driscoll's were at Wepener:

"Since I last saw you I have been in nine engagements, and am beginning to feel quite the old soldier, and although I am quite fed up with fighting now, and shall be jolly glad to get back to a mere peaceful avocation, I would not have missed the experience I have gone through the last nine months for anything. We are now at a place called Dornfontein, which lies about half-wav between Winberg and Ficksburg, and our division is extended in a line practically the whole way, and our duty is to stop any Boers breaking south. After the Labuschagne's Nek fight the enemy retired to Aliwal North, the most northerly town in the colony, and we had to go and knock them out of it, which we did after two days' pretty sharp fighting, the Boers retiring to Rouxville, in the Free State. We were ordered to follow up, but I regret to say that my corps, the Frontier Mounted Rifles, refused to cross the border, owing to the action of certain officers who persuaded the men they had done enough, and had never engaged to serve outside the colony. The general was pretty wild, and asked for volunteer, and Captain Driscoll, myself and 25 men were the only ones to step out. He thanked us, and asked Driscoll to form a corps of scouts for the Colonial Division, which he did, getting 28 of the Queenstown Volunteers, which made our little force up to 53, with Driscoll and myself as officers. Until a month ago we were with the Colonial Division, and amongst other items were shut up at Wepener for 17 days, where we lost pretty heavily, and during our time with the Colonial Brigade, although I say it myself, we made ourselves very useful indeed, so much so that General Rundle, who is senior officer in this part of the world, asked that we might be attached to him, which we were about a mouth ago, just in time to take a pretty active part in the Biddulph's Berg fight at Senekal, where we achieved anything but a victory. It was there we saw wounded men burnt to death by a veldt fire. We like General Rundle very much, and he treats us awfully well, never doing anything important without consulting Driscoll or myself. He has given us 36 men and an officer from the Guards Brigade to train as scouts, and, with recruits, our little force is now considerably over 100, with six officers."

The creation of Driscoll's Scouts took place on 18 March 1900, according to the papers. Some men joined 19 March and as late as 29 March.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds