Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 8 months ago #21341

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
I have always wondered if the removal of lugs/ears, was done, on occasion, by certain individuals at the mint, you do see this from time to time and always well done, on medals, both to the Army and SAMIF.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 8 months ago #21343

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank,

I was having the same thought yesterday as to whether the clasps for the KSA were issues with lugs on the SA02 clasp? I know what you mean about the good job that was made of removing them.

Perhaps by adding top lugs to the SA02 clasp, the authorities were guarding against another incorrect decision of when the war would end?
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 8 months ago #21355

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
I have examples to people, who I would think, have never really bothered with their medals, one pair that springs to mind would be a Cape farmer who joined the SAMIF for the duration and then merely went back to it upon discharge.
I very much doubt that such people would have even considered the removal of lugs on clasps.
Regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Talana/Penal Servitude 9 years 7 months ago #21608

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
A recently acquired Talana QSA to 280 Pte T Goodall KRRC. Sorry, not a very good photo.

On checking the medal rolls I discovered him on the KSA roll for both 01 and 02 clasps, but with a note 'Not Entitled. Sentenced to Penal Servitude and decoration forfeited. Home 23.1.02.'

What principles governed forfeiture? More specifically, how can I find out what he did to merit Penal Servitude?

Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with clasp Talana/Penal Servitude 9 years 7 months ago #21628

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Patrick,

That's a great photo. Thank you for posting it.

In reply to your question, I have seen similar sentences handed down but never looked into the causes.

TNA looks to hold some information that may be of use:

Non-commissioned officers and other ranks could be tried by any of the courts martial, so you may have to look in two sets of records. For the most serious offences tried at general and field general courts martial, the records are as described for officers. For less serious offences tried at general regimental and district garrison courts martial, consult:

Registers: home and abroad 1812-1829 WO 89
Registers: home and abroad 1829-1971 WO 86
London area: registers 1865-1875 WO 87
Records of minor offences tried at regimental courts martial are not held by The National Archives, but may be held at regimental museums.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/rese...courts-17th-20th.htm

Will you have any chance to consult these. I am nit sure if any of these recorded are online at FMP?
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Talana 9 years 7 months ago #22113

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi all

Just taking a look through the Talana books and I noticed that the Norfolk Regiment is listed as a receiving regiment for the Talana clasp. I wonder if anyone has ever seen one issued to them or if anyone has information on how many were issued and to who, assuming they were seconded?

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds