Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 2 weeks ago #19207

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I certainly think that you get what you pay for with medals, pay more=get more! :)
Regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Frank,

Thank you for your comments.
I have tried to be more selective with my medal purchases of late,looking at quality rather than quantity.
I believe some medals are a better investment at the moment than savings, although I do not buy with that in mind.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul,
You have entered a whole new area with this medal, I certainly don't think you paid too much either, it is really quite rare and not one that you could replace tomorrow, regardless of what others may tell you, members of A Squadron were very exceptional soldiers, I've always held them in very high regard.
Going back to the money side, you must bare in mind that twenty five years ago, if you paid £400 or so, you would get a very fine QSA indeed, sadly, times have changed, but, it is all relative of course!
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 2 weeks ago #19224

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,

That certainly seems to be case these days ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
I certainly think that you get what you pay for with medals, pay more=get more! :)
Regards Frank

Thank you for your comments.
I have tried to be more selective with my medal purchases of late,looking at quality rather than quantity.
I believe some medals are a better investment at the moment than savings, although I do not buy with that in mind.

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul,
You have entered a whole new area with this medal, I certainly don't think you paid too much either, it is really quite rare and not one that you could replace tomorrow, regardless of what others may tell you, members of A Squadron were very exceptional soldiers, I've always held them in very high regard.
Going back to the money side, you must bare in mind that twenty five years ago, if you paid £400 or so, you would get a very fine QSA indeed, sadly, times have changed, but, it is all relative of course!
Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 2 weeks ago #19225

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Simple's! :)
Sorry I've been watching those Meerkats again!

That certainly seems to be case these days ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Regards Frank

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 2 weeks ago #19234

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
I'm interested to see the view that a ROM clasp is perhaps more desirable than a DOM clasp. As I acquired a ROM together with a Rhodesia on the Castleman pair I posted a few weeks ago, I'm quite pleased to hear this, but I wondered why people thought this, as I assume, perhaps wrongly, that the Defence clasp would be rarer. A Defence clasp is still on my list, too.

Patrick

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 2 weeks ago #19238

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Patrick
Purely on the basis of clasp numbers issued, DofM has to be more rare than RofM. DofM = 1263 according to M.Hibbard 'way back in 1979 and RofM = 3002 according to S.M.Kaplan's roll also published in the '70's. As time marches on and collectors buy-and-pry, further entitlements are found (see my post on the RofM clasp to Pom Pom Sec., RA) and hopefully Mr. Biggins will unleash his writing skills on the subject of MAFEKING sooner rather than later!
Perhaps the enthusiasm for RofM stems from the respective activities of the relief columns. L/Col. Plumer's lads qualified from 11th October 1899 to 17th May 1900 and Mahon's chaps did similarly from Barkly West from 4th May, 1900. Readers are free to make up their own minds about one versus the other.
The whole Mafeking affair was charged with high emotion at the time and still attracts interest due to more recent examination of the activities of the personalities involved; plus the fact that gems of contemporary literature can still be found.
Patrick, I enjoy the lot of them. I trust that you run across a DofM soon and that it does not cost you too much.
Kind rtegards
IL.

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 2 weeks ago #19242

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
IL

A concise and informative suggestion to the question, thank you.
And I think this is a very good point.
"The whole Mafeking affair was charged with high emotion at the time and still attracts interest due to more recent examination of the activities of the personalities involved; plus the fact that gems of contemporary literature can still be found"

LinneyI wrote: Patrick
Purely on the basis of clasp numbers issued, DofM has to be more rare than RofM. DofM = 1263 according to M.Hibbard 'way back in 1979 and RofM = 3002 according to S.M.Kaplan's roll also published in the '70's. As time marches on and collectors buy-and-pry, further entitlements are found (see my post on the RofM clasp to Pom Pom Sec., RA) and hopefully Mr. Biggins will unleash his writing skills on the subject of MAFEKING sooner rather than later!
Perhaps the enthusiasm for RofM stems from the respective activities of the relief columns. L/Col. Plumer's lads qualified from 11th October 1899 to 17th May 1900 and Mahon's chaps did similarly from Barkly West from 4th May, 1900. Readers are free to make up their own minds about one versus the other.
The whole Mafeking affair was charged with high emotion at the time and still attracts interest due to more recent examination of the activities of the personalities involved; plus the fact that gems of contemporary literature can still be found.
Patrick, I enjoy the lot of them. I trust that you run across a DofM soon and that it does not cost you too much.
Kind rtegards
IL.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds