Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19305

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Wow? thanks Frank :)
It has made me study a little more about the siege.
A work colleague who lived in Mafeking has lent me a book "Mafeking the story of a siege" by Malcolm Flower-Smith.
Just started to read it.

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul,
Merely a short statement of fact as far as I am concerned, as a single QSA, it is, I feel one of the best shown on here thus far this year.
Frank

coldstream wrote: Frank,
Thanks for the comment on the last line ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: I'm sorry if it was anything I wrote that gave you that impression, the fact is that when you start number crunching, the figures speak of themselves and it is the defence that remains both rarer and rather more expensive.
That said, I still feel that even today, a good relief is harder to find, that was cetainly the case twenty years ago, when to be quite honest, it was merely a simple case of £400-£450, moreover that was retail too!
I'd take Paul's medal every time, better by far!

pjac49 wrote: I'm interested to see the view that a ROM clasp is perhaps more desirable than a DOM clasp. As I acquired a ROM together with a Rhodesia on the Castleman pair I posted a few weeks ago, I'm quite pleased to hear this, but I wondered why people thought this, as I assume, perhaps wrongly, that the Defence clasp would be rarer. A Defence clasp is still on my list, too.

Patrick

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19347

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Well, I should just go and buy one if I were you, they are around like everything else, at a price, the Bechuanaland Rifles would be where my money would go, but, if you can find an example to the Cape Police, moreover, if you can afford it, better still, sadly, it all comes down to money and being in the right place at the right moment in time.
Kind regards Frank

At last a Mafeking! 9 years 4 months ago #23971

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
Here is the thread.

Cheers
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

At last a Mafeking! 9 years 4 months ago #23972

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay yes, I'd forgotten, I see that I had not missed it!

coldstream wrote: Frank,
Here is the thread.

Cheers

At last a Mafeking! 3 years 8 months ago #71346

• Derryhale
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Paul,
George Stanley Blurton's mother is my great grandfather's first cousin. Elizabeth Adelaide Blurton nee Stanley married John Blurton on 20th January 1870. The R Blurton mentioned elsewhere in this series of comments is most likely his brother Rupert. Have you a family connection to the Blurton family or is your interest from the military aspect.

Richard

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds