Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Defence of Kimberley 10 years 5 months ago #15668

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello again Brian,
I had meant to reply to this when I first saw it, when I originally collected campaign medals all QSA's were really quite cheap, you could just go out and buy half a dozen Kimberey Town Guard medals on the same day for under £100 each, they very soon went to £250 arround the centenary and now go for about the £350 mark, when they turn up that is, which is certainly not as often.
All the more so since David's book was published, Kimberley has nver been something I could get into though, I never held the Town Guard as being anything special, but, now of course, I do wish I had bought more when they were cheap.
I was always far more interested in the fighting in Natal, it always seemed far more intense and interesting, I often think that if Kimberley had not had CJ or De Beers, the enemy would not have been remotely interested in it!
But, the fact is, that the Loyals, Kimberley LH and Regt etc, are all much better value for money when you start number crunching.
Regards again Frank

Brianc wrote: Have I woken up in the future?

When did these become so valuable, especially to the TG or is there something about this man we don't know?

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Defence of Kimberley 10 years 2 weeks ago #19239

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Spink are offering a couple of single clasp DoK in the next auction.

The first to Pte. D. Suttie. Kimberley Town Gd. He served in No IV Company at the reservoir. His medal sold in 1976 for £75 and is estimated at £180-£220.

The second is to C. Qr: Mr: Sjt: C. Duggan. Kimberley Town Gd: He served at Kamfersdam. This has a lower estimate of £140-£180. The condition is GVF while Suttie's medal is NEF so there is not much to separate them?

Interestingly, Duggan's Kimberley Star is held by the South African Museum of Military History.
Dr David Biggins

Defence of Kimberley 10 years 2 weeks ago #19248

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
I don't feel there is too much between the them really, £75 was quite good money in 1976 though, I would expect them both to do rather better than their conservative estimates in the saleroom on the day, their retail value is certainly more these days.
Regards Frank

Defence of Kimberley 10 years 2 weeks ago #19251

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Frank,

I am not sure why there is a difference in the estimates and, like you, imagine the two to go for over their top estimates.

We will see.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Defence of Kimberley 10 years 2 weeks ago #19259

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
What strikes me here is that the price in about 1990-92 or so would have been around £90-£100 from the larger provicial dealers here, I certainly remember seeing a good honest example to a Colour Sergeant at £90 and thinking do I really want it, it's only a Town Guard!
Regards Frank

Defence of Kimberley 9 years 9 months ago #21381

• Don T Adams
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank and Brian,

This post blew me away.

Walter Thorne Adams is my Grandfather! Do you still have that badge? Is there an inscription you could copy for me to add to my collection of items on him.

I have never seen it or heard of it in the family. Walter and Dolly (Helen Georgina Keating) had 2 children, my father and his sister, Helen. I know there were some hard times along the way, so it may have been sold to pay some bills or when his items were cleaned out.

I am also looking for information on the Keating family, EW Keating was the School master during that time. Another brother was William B Keating who went on to service in the WW1 and died in France in Oct 1918.

Their father was Alfred Keating, who died around 1903.

Don Thorne Adams

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.868 seconds